EXCLUSIVE

2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley leaves the Supreme Court today at Queens Square.

Called in sick: 2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley. Photo: Ben Rushton

The first sign that something might be amiss with 2GB host Ray Hadley was a tweet from his stand-in, Luke Grant, late on Thursday night saying: ''Got the late call-up to fill in for Ray Hadley tomorrow. Just for one day.''

What emerged on Friday was a series of revelations involving allegations made by the popular host's wife about his personal behaviour.

In just 24 hours, the broadcaster's wife applied for an apprehended violence order against Hadley and his son, Daniel, and then withdrew the AVO late on Friday afternoon as Fairfax Media broke the news.

Only the barest details are known about what sparked Suzanne Hadley to walk into Hornsby police station on Thursday afternoon asking to speak with an officer.

That night, her husband, who had spent Wednesday night sleeping on a couch in his radio station's Pyrmont office, took the highly unusual step of calling in sick for work on Friday.

An internal email was sent to 2GB staff at 7.30pm on Thursday saying: ''Ray is unwell. Luke Grant will host mornings tomorrow.'' A colleague of Hadley's said it was ''extremely rare'' for the radio host to miss a show.

The reason for Hadley's no-show was was kept from his staff, his replacement, other high-profile presenters and even some senior management who learnt about the AVO applications when the Herald published the story at 4.15pm.

Hadley's boss - the managing director of Macquarie Radio Network, Rob Loewenthal - said he was unaware of the allegations and would not discuss them.

Mr Loewenthal added: ''Anyone who listens to 2GB would know that this station and its presenters have no tolerance for

domestic violence and have campaigned to raise awareness about the issue.''

Twenty minutes after the story broke, NSW police released a statement saying the application on behalf of Mrs Hadley had been withdrawn.

''Late this afternoon, police had further contact with the woman and, as a result, NSW police will no longer be pursuing the application for an AVO,'' a NSW police statement said.

A police spokesman later said the application against Daniel Hadley, a constable at St Marys police station, was never served and had also been withdrawn.

It is understood that Ray and Suzanne Hadley met a lawyer on Friday before the application was withdrawn.

They later released a statement via their lawyer to Channel 10 saying the couple were going through a ''difficult time.''

''They are working together amicably and privately to resolve matters between them and to ensure those affected, in particular their children, suffer as little as possible,'' the statement said. ''While applications were initially lodged by Suzanne yesterday she has since withdrawn both applications in writing.''

The couple have been married for 20 years. They announced their separation in February 2011 but reconciled a short time later.

''He got angry because, probably, of his workload and probably because he wanted everything to be perfect,'' Mrs Hadley told ABC's Australian Story program on her husband last year. ''But he got angry about something and I just, just couldn't, I just couldn't deal with it any more. So I left and moved somewhere else with the children.''

Sources within 2GB said that Hadley had recently been sleeping on a black couch in his office.

Some of his staff were shocked to see him asleep there on Thursday morning, where he had slept after the Garth Wood and Daniel Geale boxing bout at the Hordern Pavilion on Wednesday night.

The claims come less than a month after Hadley personally settled for an undisclosed amount over allegations that he bullied and threatened a 2GB colleague, digital producer Richard Palmer.

It also follows reports by Fairfax Media over the past year detailing allegations that Hadley bullied, threatened and harassed current and former colleagues.