NSW

Baby burnt in explosion after aerosol can thrown into fire at Raymond Terrace

A baby girl was burnt in an explosion after an aerosol can was thrown into a fire at a party outside a home in Raymond Terrace. 

The 16-month-old was in a car parked near the Richardson Road property with the door open when the accident occurred about 11.50pm, police said. She was sleeping in her car seat and was burned when the small explosion sent hot coals flying for several metres.

More News Videos

NSW floodwaters begin to recede

Relieved residents and holidaymakers in Raymond Terrace begin to return home under SES supervision as floodwaters start to recede on Thursday. Vision courtesy Network Ten.

Police and paramedics attended, with the baby being treated for burns to her leg before being taken to John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition. Her injuries are not life threatening and no one else was hurt.

Initial inquiries indicate the explosion was caused by an aerosol can that had been thrown into the open fire. Police have spoken to witnesses and do not expect to take further action. 

An aerosol can thrown into the fire caused burns to the baby.
An aerosol can thrown into the fire caused burns to the baby. 

The Aerosol Association of Australia warns that serious accidents can be caused by the misuse or abuse of products.

"Many aerosols contain gases and liquids that may be flammable near a fire or heat," safety information on its website warns. "They also contain contents under pressure. This pressure increases with heat and may cause the can to burst."

The association says it is important to keep aerosols away from heat or any ignition source and not to pierce or burn them as they may explode, even when empty.

Raymond Terrace is one of the communities recovering after flooding in the Hunter last week. The Hunter River broke its banks after record rainfall, forcing families to be evacuated and prompting dozens of rescues.