License article

Einfeld in another traffic scrape

POLICE are investigating a car accident in which the disgraced former judge Marcus Einfeld is alleged to have left the scene.

Einfeld, 72, was released from Silverwater jail in March after spending two years behind bars after lying and attempting to pervert the course of justice to avoid a $77 traffic fine.

The former Federal Court judge's current driving mishap is alleged to have occurred in Clarence Street, at 4pm on Sunday, June 5.

Passers-by watched as a woman driver accused an unknown man of being responsible for damaging her car, which had been scratched in the bingle.

The man then called the woman ''stupid'' before getting into his car and driving away.

The woman took down the number plate and reported the matter to police at The Rocks.


A police check revealed the car was registered to Einfeld and the description the woman provided matched him. Police confirmed an investigation of the ''fail to stop'' incident. It is understood police have been in touch with his parole officer.

The day he left prison in March this year Einfeld told waiting reporters he had learnt ''a very painful lesson'' and he planned to redeem himself by working with the Reverend Bill Crews's Exodus Foundation and the Salvation Army's Oasis Youth Support Network.

Mr Crews said the only occasion he had seen Einfeld was on Easter Sunday, when Einfeld had been part of an Emanuel Synagogue group that helped feed homeless people. ''That's the only contact I have had with him,'' Mr Crews said yesterday.

A spokeswoman for Oasis said that to her knowledge Einfeld had not been working there.

Einfeld's fall began when his silver Lexus was caught speeding on January 8, 2006. The former president of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission sent off a statutory declaration declaring he was not the driver.

On his letterhead, which read ''The Hon Justice Marcus R. Einfeld, AO, QC, PhD'', the retired judge wrote that Teresa Brennan, a friend visiting from the US, had been responsible but he would be happy to come to court ''to swear to these facts if required''.

But Professor Brennan had been dead for three years. That was the second time he had used Professor Brennan's name.

A spokesman for Einfeld said late yesterday he would not be commenting.