Enzo Guzzetti sat motionless as a solitary tear fell from his face and the jury's decision sank in. ''I was shocked, very happy, but also a touch sad,'' Mr Guzzetti said of the moment he saw his brother's killer sent to jail.
''It is an amazing verdict. My family can move forward finally, but it still won't bring Mario back.''
When Philip Leung was found guilty of manslaughter in the NSW Supreme Court on Wednesday, it signalled the end of one of the most remarkable court cases in Australian legal history. It began five years ago when Leung was found at the foot of his stairs, cradling his blood-stained lover, Mario Guzzetti, who died from severe head injuries.
Since then, the Sydney jeweller, 51, has been tried and acquitted over the same killing twice. Last month he became the first person in history to stand trial over the same killing three times, and was found guilty.
While Leung will undoubtedly feel aggrieved as he adjusts to his new surroundings at Silverwater Jail this weekend, he will receive no sympathy from Mario's Italy-based family. ''Mario had been dead for almost two weeks before we were informed,'' said Mr Guzzetti in an exclusive interview with The Sun-Herald.
''Leung never mentioned to police that Mario had loved ones who needed to be contacted. He knew who we were and where we lived in Italy. Instead, the police had to research us. It speaks volumes about the type of person he is.''
Mr Guzzetti has made the long trip to Australia on four occasions since the killing, each time with a ''heavy heart''.
On his first visit he had his brother cremated and returned to Verona with the ashes. In the three trips since he has attended every minute of Leung's trials, in the hope of taking home answers.
During each of those trials, the facts remained uncontested, the evidence exactly the same: Leung and Mario had been together since 2001, but in the weeks before his death, the latter had told a friend he wanted to separate because Leung had grown ''aggressive''.
On the morning of April 7, 2007, a neighbour heard voices arguing at the couple's home in Alexandria, followed by a loud bang. She later heard Leung crying. About 45 minutes after the initial bang, Leung called an ambulance, saying: ''I had a fight with my friend and my friend dead.''
When people arrived at the scene, Leung said: ''We had an argument … I was making carrot juice and he kept at me.''
Leung was charged with murder. At his trial in May 2009, the Crown alleged the couple had argued while Leung was making carrot juice, resulting in him striking his lover with a juicer found beside the body. But medical and scientific evidence proved inconclusive. Justice Stephen Rothman directed a not-guilty verdict, ruling the Crown had failed to establish properly how Mr Guzzetti had died.
The Crown then used the state's double jeopardy laws, introduced in 2006, that allow for appeals and retrials in homicide cases that are settled by a judge's directed verdict to the jury. Leung was charged again, this time with manslaughter.
In April last year, Justice Michael Adams reached the same conclusion, directing a second jury to find Leung not guilty. In turn, the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal upheld a second appeal by the Crown and ordered that Leung be tried for manslaughter.
This outcome was decided by a jury. It retired on Monday afternoon and deliberated for almost two days. When The Sun-Herald asked Leung on Tuesday if he was nervous, he replied: ''No, I have no reason to be nervous.'' When the jury delivered their guilty verdict, he said through tears: ''This is wrong, just wrong.''
An emotional Enzo Guzzetti said he had witnessed the ''best and worst'' of the Australian legal system and praised the DPP and NSW police for sharing his family's determination. ''They could easily have given up twice, but they cared very much. For my family, which was so far away, this was something very special. It will never be forgotten.''