A South Coast man was burnt in an explosion when he was preparing Christmas lunch for his family on a barbecue.
NSW police said the 62-year-old man had been airlifted to a specialist burns unit at Concord Hospital for treatment.
Police and emergency services were called to his home in Solo Circuit, Shell Cove, south of Wollongong about 9.30am Wednesday after reports of a gas explosion.
"They arrived to find a 62-year-old man with burns to his face, arms and legs," they said in a statement.
"Police have been told the man was preparing the family’s Christmas lunch when the explosion occurred. They are investigating reports the gas bottle to the BBQ was incorrectly connected.
"Police hope to speak with the injured man once he is well enough, to get a clearer idea of how the explosion occurred."