- Robert Hughes from Hey Dad! sentenced to six years in jail for child sex abuse
- Robert Hughes loses appeal over child sex offences
Former Hey Dad! actor and convicted paedophile Robert Hughes has applied to clear his name in the High Court.
Robert Hughes loses appeal
Sydney school embraces coding curriculum
Stan Grant 'struggles to contain rage'
Online rape threat troll avoids jail
Lindt cafe siege: what police said
Prairiewood shooting a 'targeted attack'
Australia's first whole genome testing
Baby assaulted on Sydney train
Robert Hughes loses appeal
Former Hey Dad! star Robert Hughes loses his appeal over child sex offences in December. Vision courtesy ABC News 24.
Hughes was sentenced in the Sydney District Court to at least six years' jail in 2014 after he was found guilty of molesting four girls between 1984 and 1990.
His youngest victim was six or seven years old and another was a fellow cast member of Hey Dad!, a popular Australian sitcom. Hughes was also convicted of a number of indecent assaults.
"The offender engaged in a systematic pattern of sexual abuse upon young girls over a number of years," Judge Peter Zahra said at sentencing. "His conduct was brazen."
Hughes continued to deny any responsibility, taking his case to the NSW Criminal Court of Appeal last year. His barrister, Phillip Boulten, SC, said the actor's trial had miscarried for a number of reasons, including publicity on social media.
Hughes lost his case on December 21 last year. The 67-year-old filed through his lawyers on Monday an application to seek the High Court's leave to appeal.
"The CCA erred in respect of how it dealt with the issue of tendency evidence," Hughes' solicitor Greg Walsh said.
Mr Walsh said the Crown had illegitimately relied on allegations about Hughes sleeping naked in his change room or exposing himself.
Mr Walsh also criticised the "inflammatory nature" of the crown prosecutor's address at trial and media reports. He said one journalist had reported from a jail saying it was where Hughes would be incarcerated after his conviction.
Hughes is seeking to have his sentence reduced as well. In his first appeal, the court heard evidence he had had boiling water thrown over him at Goulburn jail.
But the Criminal Court of Appeal justices Margaret Beazley, Monika Schmidt and Richard Button did not accept his claim that his sentence should be reduced because of his treatment in custody.
They did refer the evidence to the Justice Minister and the Commissioner for Corrective Services.
"The affidavits received from both parties raised disturbing matters as to the conditions under which the applicant is being kept in custody," the judges found.
The trial judge said he had taken into account the likelihood Hughes would be treated more harshly in prison.
Based on his original sentence, Hughes would first be eligible for release in April 2020.