Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Robert Hughes guilty of indecent assault

Disgraced former Hey Dad! actor Robert Hughes has been found guilty of exposing himself to a young woman on the set of the show.

PT0M35S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-36afh 620 349

The disgraced Hey Dad! star Robert Hughes has been found guilty of exposing himself to a young woman on the set of the hit show.

A day after the 65-year-old actor was found guilty of nine child sex charges committed between 1984 and 1991, on Tuesday he was found guilty on one of two remaining charges against him.

This charge relates to a young woman who worked on the set of Hey Dad!

<i>Hey Dad!</i> star Robert Hughes at The Downing Centre District  Court in Sydney last week.

Hey Dad! star Robert Hughes at The Downing Centre District Court in Sydney last week. Photo: Janie Barrett

Sydney's Downing Centre District Court had heard Hughes exposed himself to the woman, who was under 18 at the time, pulling his pants down and waggling his penis in front of her back stage at Channel Seven's Epping studio.

The woman, who worked on Hey Dad! from 1984 to 1993, described a number of incidents of alleged abuse, including one she said occurred backstage at the show’s Epping studios.

’’I was out the back ... lying on the floor and Robert came out from his dressing room,’’ the woman said.

’’He stood right in front of the mirror. He made eye contact so he knew I was looking.

’’He undid his belt buckle and let his pants hit the floor. He pulled his underpants down, looked in the eye at me and then waggled his penis and looked at me and looked at his penis like he wanted me to look at it.’’

The jury in the case had been discharged in relation to the final remaining charge on the indictment after it was unable to reach a verdict on that charge.

It effectively marks the end of Hughes' trial.

Hughes has now been taken into custody where he will remain at least until May 2 when his sentencing begins.

Speaking outside court Hughes’ lawyer Greg Walsh said the 65-year-old had not been given a fair trial, lambasting the media for its ‘‘prejudicial’’ coverage and stating that he expected his client would appeal.

‘‘He’s a broken man,’’ Mr Walsh said.

‘‘Mr Hughes and his family have been subjected to four years of vilification.

‘‘That builds up an enormous prejudice for his right to a fair trial."

The head of the NSW sex crimes squad, Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec said the verdicts were a ‘‘testament to the bravery of the victims’’.

‘‘It also demonstrates that no one is above the law when it comes to offending against children,’’ he said.