Kings Cross is defying a statewide downward trend in alcohol-related assaults outside licensed venues, despite a government crackdown following the death of teenager Thomas Kelly.

Figures compiled by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research reveal non-domestic assaults in licensed premises within the Kings Cross police local area command have fallen by an annual average of 19.6 per cent over the past two years but have remained stable over five years.

The figures show alcohol-related assaults in licensed venues in the area fell by an annual average of 16.9 per cent over two years but were stable over five years.

However, the data also show rates of alcohol-related assault outside licensed premises in the Kings Cross police local area command have remained stable over two years compared with an average annual fall of 7.1 per cent in NSW. The figures suggest the crackdown by the government on Kings Cross pubs and clubs in December 2012 has had an impact on assaults inside venues but not in the streets.

The government imposed a plan of management on licensed venues in Kings Cross following the fatal assault on 18-year-old Thomas Kelly in July 2012. Venues were banned from selling shots or mixed drinks after midnight on weekends or using glassware after midnight on any day of the week. They have also been required to hire responsible service of alcohol marshals and improve their CCTV coverage.

Last year, the government trumpeted statistics that showed alcohol-related assaults had fallen by about one-third inside Kings Cross licensed premises between December 2012 and March last year compared with the same period the previous year.

But these figures related to the Kings Cross liquor accord ''precinct'' area where the plan of management was imposed.

Bureau director Dr Don Weatherburn said on Wednesday he did not have precinct figures as they required different research by the bureau, which would be done in due course.

Earlier on Wednesday, Hospitality Minister George Souris released figures suggesting a 25.5 per cent reduction in alcohol-related assaults in licensed premises in the Kings Cross precinct between December 1, 2012 and June 30, last year. Mr Souris said 82 incidents were reported at licensed premises in the Kings Cross precinct in the period, compared with 110 in the same period in the previous year.

Mr Souris said Dr Weatherburn confirmed the government's measures had not pushed the problem onto the street because those figures remained stable.

Police Minister Mike Gallacher said ''significant police resources'', including the riot squad, were used in Kings Cross at peak times.