License article

Lane Cove gas explosion and fire leaves man with serious burns

A 21-year-old man is suffering from serious burns after a gas main exploded near a busy shopping strip in Lane Cove on Sydney's lower north shore.

Police, ambulance and six fire crews were confronted by a pillar of fire four to five metres high when they reached Longueville Road.

Up Next

Serious skipping: Three Aussies dominating in double-dutch

Video duration

More National News Videos

Gas main explodes in Lane Cove

RAW VISION: A man is seriously injured after a gas main exploded in Lane Cove on Monday.

The fire broke out about 1.20pm on Monday and burned for about two hours.

The injured man was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital for treatment, an Ambulance NSW spokesman said.

"He is in a stable condition," a hospital spokesman said.

Shoppers were evacuated from the shopping strip and firefighters established a 100-metre exclusion zone.


Fairfax Media cartoonist Cathy Wilcox, who was nearby when the gas main exploded, said "a column of flames" reached heights of up to five metres and singed the leaves of a tall tree.

"Parts of the Lane Cove Plaza are being redone and [it's] under construction. They must have gone down to the ground and somehow busted through a gas main," she said.

"The area was fenced off so there wasn’t much danger of people walking into it."

Gas company workers were at the scene to help contain the blaze.

Lane Cove resident Grace Linsdell said the flames were "huge".

Emergency crews blocked off Longueville Road between Central Avenue and Epping Road but the road has since been reopened.

Buses were  diverted but have resumed normal service.