NSW

Man and woman charged over Queanbeyan assault

The victim of a "ferocious" assault that splashed blood around a Queanbeyan pub suffered a stroke because of his injuries, police say.

The injuries suffered by the 40-year-old Queanbeyan man included a broken jaw, impaired vision in his left eye and missing teeth after an allegedly unprovoked assault at Walsh's Hotel, in Queanbeyan, on August 9.

He is still in Canberra Hospital in a serious condition.

A second man, 40, from Jerrabombera suffered a fractured elbow and needed stitches to his lip and head.

Rebecca Smith, 38, and her partner, Matthew Darrol Davis, 30, are accused of the attack that occurred about 11.50pm.

Smith, of Queanbeyan, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with three counts of inflicting grievous bodily harm, affray and common assault.

Advertisement

Davis, also of Queanbeyan, is also accused of three charges of grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.

The pair were released on bail from the Queanbeyan Local Court on Wednesday.

Two other men are also wanted by police over the incident.

Court documents, tendered on Wednesday, said there had been tensions between Smith and the Queanbeyan victim since their marriage broke down last year.

There had been several alleged incidents between the man and the defendantssince the separation, culminating in Smith allegedly sending him a message through friends to ''be careful … bad things are coming your way''.

The documents said the two alleged victims and the defendants crossed paths at Walsh's Hotel on Monaro Street only days after the alleged threat.

Police allege Davis knocked the Jerrabombera man unconscious with one punch, causing him to hit his head and elbow on the tiled floor.

Davis then allegedly punched the Queanbeyan man to the ground with two blows.

Davis was pulled away and the alleged victim rose to his feet when another man – who police are still seeking – allegedly elbowed and punched him in the head.

Davis allegedly joined in and tackled the Queanbeyan man to the ground, where he was assaulted further.

Smith then allegedly kicked her former husband in the head several times, which security staff said caused blood to splash ''all over the place''.

Davis and other man then fled the pub after allegedly threatening security staff with a beer bottle and a bar stool.

Documents said the entire incident had been captured by CCTV and witnessed by pub staff and patrons.

A police prosecutor opposed bail when the pair appeared in court on Wednesday.

The prosecutor said the alleged victims were admitted to hospital and the Queanbeyan man suffered a stroke last week.

He told the court the ''severe and shocking'' incident had been unprovoked, subject to some planning and opportunistic circumstances.

The prosecutor argued the community was sick of violence and had an expectation that people who committed such offences would be dealt with by the courts.

But defence lawyer Craig Lynch said he had received reports the alleged victims had also thrown punches and the incident had been a ''pub fight''.

Mr Lynch said he had been denied access to CCTV footage by police investigators that would prove his arguments.

The lawyer told the court neither of his clients had a criminal history and presented no risk of reoffending or interfering with witnesses.

Both were bailed to reappear in October.

Advertisement