MERCEDES-BENZ Australia has released a response to a personal attack on one of its senior executives by the broadcaster Alan Jones.
The statement reinforced the company's ''corporate values'' and ''global integrity code'', and aimed to clarify its position on advertising on 2GB, which Jones brought into question on Monday morning with a personal attack on the company's corporate communications manager, David McCarthy, following his comments demanding the return of a $250,000 S-Class limousine.
Jones calls Mercedes-Benz exec a "gutless wonder"
Alan Jones calls Mercedes-Benz executive, David McCarthy, a "gutless wonder" after the company asked for the return of the broadcaster's sponsored car.
Jones claimed a Mercedes-Benz ad contract with 2GB had been cancelled two weeks before his controversial comments about the death of the father of the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard.
But the Mercedes-Benz statement yesterday claimed there was more than one contract.
''Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific cancelled its corporate sponsorship contract with 2GB on 1st October 2012 giving 28 days' notice,'' the statement read. ''Separately there was an advertising contract with 2GB and our NSW dealers. We now understand that this contract was cancelled on or about 19 September 2012 giving 28 days' notice of this to 2GB.''
Mercedes-Benz said the widely condemned comments also prompted it to instruct its dealers to cease any advertising with the station.
Jones attacks 'cyberbullying' social media campaign
Controversial broadcaster Alan Jones says 2GB's advertisers been taken off-air for their own protection.
''These decisions were commercial decisions and were in no way politically motivated as inferred by some media outlets.''
The statement also defended the actions of its executives, including Mr McCarthy. ''Every Mercedes-Benz Executive involved has acted in accordance with our corporate values with the requisite authority and the full support of the company's board of management.''