Glen and Kylie Borg, their 2 year old daughter Bronte, and neighbour Peter Southam.

Glen and Kylie Borg, their 2 year old daughter Bronte, and neighbour Peter Southam. Photo: Jonathan Carroll

Glen Borg was seconds away from living every parent’s worst nightmare on Boxing Day.

After a momentary distraction, the father-of-three found his youngest daughter, Bronte, aged two and a half floating face down in the family pool.

‘‘It was the worst thing you can ever go through as a parent, seeing your child just floating there like that,’’ Mr Borg said.

‘‘Luckily I had done some CPR training years ago, so I didn’t hesitate, I pulled her out of the pool and started working to revive her.

‘‘I had to take my feelings out of the agenda, because you’ve got to act quickly in that situation.’’

He said after performing several minutes of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, Bronte was still blue and felt like ‘‘rubber’’, but she started to throw up ‘‘gunk’’.

‘‘I was looking at her and I thought: ‘oh god, there’s no hope’ but I wasn’t about to give up.

‘‘I would have kept going and going forever, but it wasn’t looking good.

‘‘Then I just pinched her nose and gave one huge blow and her eyes popped open.

‘‘I was so relieved, there’s no way to describe it.’’

Mr Borg said he and his wife Kylie, who called triple-0 while he and neighbour Peter Southam worked to revive Bronte, were only speaking out about the incident because they wanted to encourage parents to take steps to avoid tragedies in the pool.

‘‘We got so lucky, because I knew CPR and my neighbour helped me do the compressions, but it could have gone the other way.

‘‘I would encourage all parents to learn CPR, particularly if they have a pool.

‘‘At least one of the parents should have that skill.

‘‘But also I would ask everyone with a pool to look into installing a swimming pool alarm system.

‘‘They are just like smoke alarms, but for your pool.

‘‘They’re motion sensors which let you know when movement is detected in the water and I would encourage everyone with a pool to install them.

‘‘I think the state government should make them compulsory.’’

The Warnervale family was in the midst of packing to move house and Mr Borg was distracted when Mr Southam came to his property and offered to help him to move any heavy objects he had.

‘‘The pool fence was propped open so we could carry this item through.

‘‘I had just stepped away for a few minutes.

‘‘It could really happen to anyone, it’s just human error.

‘‘I’m not saying it’s not my fault, I take full responsibility, but it just takes a few seconds, you get distracted and that’s it.’’

Bronte was air-lifted to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead by CareFlight.

She did not suffer any serious injuries and has made a full recovery.

CareFlight director Ian Badham said without Mr Borg’s quick thinking Bronte may not have survived.

‘‘Their actions made all the difference in this case,’’ Mr Badham said.

‘‘If someone at the scene starts CPR straight away, there’s much greater hope for survival.

‘‘I would recommend that everyone with a pool takes a Red Cross or St John’s course because you never know, it could happen to someone in your family or when visitors come over.

‘‘It’s not worth the risk.’’