The areas to be pedestrianised.
Hoons in noisy cars would be barred and the throng of pedestrians crammed onto footpaths would ease under state government plans to improve safety in Kings Cross.
The proposal for trial road closures in Bayswater and Darlinghurst roads aims to create more room for drunken revellers to wander the streets and help them to get transport home. It would also prevent cars doing laps of the late-night strip.
If successful, the closures could be in place permanently, affecting thousands of visitors every weekend.
It follows moves such as licensing crackdowns, ID scanning and opening a sobering-up centre after the death of teenager Thomas Kelly, who was king-hit during a night out with friends in Kings Cross last year. City of Sydney councillors will discuss the trial on Monday, which would be run over two Saturday nights this summer.
Parts of Darlinghurst Road would be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles to increase room for pedestrians.
The scope of the trial has not been finalised but it may include resident-only vehicle access on surrounding roads. A council report cited research that shows providing more space to groups of drunk people can significantly reduce violence.
The other trial would involve closing one block of Bayswater Road to private vehicles, improving access for buses and taxis and reducing the risk of fights breaking out while people wait for transport.
However, the council report warned that the Darlinghurst Road closure risked attracting more revellers, and both closures might worsen traffic congestion.
Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the proposal was ''an additional measure to address alcohol-related and anti-social behaviour'' in Kings Cross.
The chief executive of the Kings Cross Licensing Accord, Doug Grand, said concentrating taxis on Bayswater Road would encourage people to use managed taxi ranks and ''get in and out of the area fairly quickly'', as well as discourage taxi touting.
The Darlinghurst Road measure might ''take away some of the bump and grind'' that could cause conflict among pedestrians, he said.
The trial would cost about $80,000. Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore said it would be monitored by the council and state government agencies, including the police, to assess whether it should continue in the long term.
The chief executive of Australian Hotels Association NSW, Paul Nicolaou, supported the proposal, saying if it was successful, it could be used ''at least for special event weekends but more likely every weekend''.
He said on Fridays and Saturdays after 9pm, most vehicles on Darlinghurst and Bayswater roads had ''their windows down, music blaring and they can't park, so they just circle as part of the show''.
''We've long advocated that we should get these vehicles out of the Cross and have secured taxi ranks to ensure those wanting taxis get them,'' he said.
On Thursday NSW Police announced the return of a blitz against alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour.
Operation Simmer will target known trouble spots in Darlinghurst, Kings Cross and central Sydney every Friday and Saturday night over summer.