As Kel and Sharon Crews walked from the NSW Supreme Court having watched their son's killer receive an extra six years in jail, they were handed a small glass display case.
Inside was Constable William Crews' official police cap and his standard issue name tag.
It was a gesture carried out with little ceremony but it said much about the emotional reaction to Wednesday's court decision.
The successful appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions against the ''manifestly inadequate'' seven-year sentence given to 58-year-old drug dealer Philip Nguyen was greeted with a sense of sadness rather than vindication by the Crews family.
On Wednesday, Nguyen's sentence for manslaughter was increased from a minimum of seven years to a minimum of 12 years. His sentence for shooting with intent to cause grievous bodily harm was increased from a minimum of four years to six.
With a partial accumulation of the sentences, Nguyen will now serve a total non-parole period of 13 years.
''It is relief … relief and sorrow,'' Kel Crews said before leaving the court.
''It's more appropriate but … in the sense of the family, nothing's ever appropriate when you lose your son in the manner that it happened.''
Constable Crews died on September 8, 2010, after being hit by a stray bullet fired by one of his fellow police officers during what was meant to be a low-risk drug raid on a car park drug stash in Bankstown.
As officers entered the basement car park, Nguyen jumped from behind a car brandishing a silver pistol and fired several shots.
One shot hit Constable Crews in the arm before a fellow detective, David Roberts, returned fire, accidentally hitting the 26-year-old officer in the back of the neck.
Constable Crews' family had been devastated by the seven-year sentence that had been handed to Nguyen after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter over the death, and the Director of Public Prosecutions appealed two weeks later.
The Court of Criminal Appeal accepted three of the four appeal grounds put forward by Crown prosecutor Nicole Noman, SC.
It rejected Justice Elizabeth Fullerton's finding that the seriousness of the manslaughter offence would have been greater if Nguyen had realised that Constable Crews and his colleagues were in fact police officers, finding that this was an inadmissable consideration.
The court also upheld the argument of prosecutors that, rather than allowing Nguyen to serve the jail terms for the two charges concurrently, there should have been only some overlap.
Finally, the judges agreed with prosecutors that the sentences were ''manifestly inadequate'', given the seriousness of the crime. ''This was a most serious example of the crime of manslaughter,'' Justice Peter Johnson wrote in his reasons for judgment.
''Having not been deterred from crime [by a previous drug conviction] he continued to be involved in drug activity and had armed himself, with the tragic and disastrous consequences which came to pass on the evening of September 8, 2010.''
Speaking outside court, Nguyen's solicitor, Ho Ledinh, said that at 58, his client would find the increased sentence ''very hard'' and raised the prospect of a counter-appeal.
''He's going to be devastated … given that he didn't intend to kill anyone,'' Mr Ledinh said.