A woman has died after being bitten by a snake while gardening on a property in the Hunter Valley.
The woman, 59, was found by her husband in the family's backyard at Raymond Terrace, Glen Oak, on Saturday afternoon and taken to hospital, the Newcastle Herald reports.
But despite extensive treatment, the woman died about 12.30am on Tuesday in John Hunter Hospital.
The species is unknown but John Hunter Hospital's snake expert, Geoff Isbister, said snake bites were not uncommon in the region at this time of year.
Usually, warm weather between November and April rouses the snakes, he said.
‘‘Most bites occur when the snake is being interfered with. Women tend to get bitten on the lower limbs while men tend to get bitten on the hands because they try to pick the snake up.’’
Mr Isbister said wrapping a bite in a tight bandage, then wrapping the entire limb and remaining totally immobile, could prevent the flow of venom through the body.
‘‘And the most important piece of first aid is the mobile phone,’’ he said.
‘‘If you have to call someone, lie there and wait for help.’’
The Newcastle Herald, with AAP