Hunt for Australian bomb suspect
Smoke after the bombing at Bulgaria's Burgas airport on July 18 last year. Photo: Reuters
THE Australian Federal Police have joined the hunt for an Australian suspected bomb maker over an alleged Hezbollah terrorist attack in Bulgaria last year, as experts warned of broader Australian links to the Lebanon-based militant group.
Bulgarian authorities have blamed the bus bombing at a Black Sea resort last year - which killed five Israeli tourists and their local bus driver - on Hezbollah and said that one of the three suspects who carried out the attack was an Australian passport holder.
The New York Times quoted an unnamed senior Western official saying the Australian was thought to have made the bomb, which ripped through the Israeli tourist bus in July last year
The Bulgarian Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, said the Australian man had moved to Lebanon in 2006.
The Foreign Affairs Minister, Bob Carr, said on Wednesday the federal police had played ''an important role'' in the case.
''The Australian Federal Police has worked with Bulgarian authorities in pursuit of those responsible for the bombing,'' he said.
Terrorism experts warned there may be further links between Australians and Hezbollah.
Charles Sturt University terrorism lecturer Levi West said money could be going from western Sydney gangs with members of Lebanese descent to Hezbollah.