Autopsy shows food poisoning killed Bali pair
Autopsy results indicates food poisoning was the likely cause of death for Queensland mother Noelene Bischoff and daughter Yvana during their holiday in Bali early last month. Nine News.PT1M13S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-31zya 620 349 February 5, 2014
Autopsies have found food poisoning most likely caused the deaths of Noelene and Yvana Bischoff in Bali last month.
Their family has been told forensic pathologists, who conducted autopsies on Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her 14-year-old daughter Yvana, had found they died from a combination of food poisoning and existing medical conditions after they ate fish at a Bali restaurant in early January.
Malcolm Bischoff, Noelene's brother, said it appeared they both suffered from scombroid food poisoning that, coupled with their asthma and, in Noelene's case, migraine medication had formed a fatal cocktail.
A photo of Noelene and Yvana Bischoff at a memorial for the mother and daughter who died on a holiday in Bali. Photo: Harrison Saragossi
"We were happy it wasn't foul play because that would be disgusting," Mr Bischoff said.
"All that has been ruled out, and I'm sure we wouldn't have got that answer if the autopsies had been held over there [in Bali]."
After the deaths, the Bischoff family successfully pushed for the autopsies to be held in Queensland.
Scombroid food poisoning can result from eating spoiled fish, meaning the restaurant's preparation could have made no difference, Mr Bischoff said.
"This is just a one in a million - one in a billion - thing to happen," he said.
"There are some more tests that still have to be done, but they more than likely won't change the result."
Once the tests are finalised, they will be sent to the state coroner.
Mr Bischoff said the family now wanted to ensure other holiday makers took special care when travelling abroad.
"If you go to these places, this can happen," he said.