Campbell Newman to remind Ashgrove he has delivered for electorate

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has rejected suggestions he will be parachuted into a safe LNP seat ahead of the next election, insisting he will run in Ashgrove. Photo: Harrison Saragossi/File photo

It's good to have the Premier as your local member – that is the pitch Campbell Newman will be taking to the people of Ashgrove in the next election.

On the second anniversary of his government's landslide election win, Mr Newman has categorically ruled out he will stand for any seat other than Ashgrove when Queensland goes back to the polls in 2015, which is expected to be sometime in February.

Mr Newman holds the seat with a 5.7 per cent margin.

Speaking to Fairfax Media, he sought to put an end to rumours he would be "parachuted” into a safe LNP seat ahead of the next election.

“I am standing for Ashgrove,” he said.

“Why? Because I met my wife in the electorate. Because I married her in the electorate. I christened my first born in the electorate. My children went to ballet in the electorate, I only live just slightly out of the electorate.

“It's an area I love, my friends are there, I bank in the electorate and have for 25 years.

“So there you go. Ashgrove is my part of Queensland, I am going to stand again in the election next year, for the people of Ashgrove.”

Mr Newman said given it would be Ashgrove voters who “get to decide whether I renew my contract or not”, he would spend the months leading up to the election urging them to look at his record.

“My message to them is whether they like me or dislike me, one thing, when they do look at my record, I have delivered for them as well, as I have for Queensland," he said.

“There is at least $55 million of benefit that I've delivered inside two years.

“They have a brand new sports hall at The Gap State High School, there are new classrooms at the Ashgrove State School, the Oakleigh State School is getting a major facelift and upgrade, the maintenance problems in our schools are almost eliminated, certainly they will be by the time of the election, a massive new intersection upgrade is on the way to being completed and many sporting groups and environmental groups have benefited from some significant grants.

“So it is good to have the Premier as your local member and that will be my pitch next year.”

In an interview and video to be published later in the week, Mr Newman talks to Fairfax Media about his government's anti-gang laws, asset sales and comparisons to the Joh-years.

But he said he is in it for the long haul.

“I do it because I love it, I do it because I want to serve the people,” he said.

“That's what keeps me going.”

But the Opposition said the government had failed to keep its election promises and would be punished at the next election.

“The Newman Government has little to be proud of as it marks two years in office. In fact many Queenslanders will think the only upside is that they have only a year to wait before sending this arrogant LNP Government a message," Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“...Queenslanders now recognise this government for what it is – they see the extreme arrogance of a government that refuses to hear their concerns.

“Given the damage this government has done in just two years, Queenslanders are right to believe nothing will change over the next year before the next election.”

• What happened to the days that you had to live in the electorate you stood in. Bring them back, so at least people will have a genuine local member of parliament.

J.G.
    March 24, 2014, 1:29PM
    • I don't know that it was actually obligatory for a politician to live in any given electorate, rather some of them once had a sense of duty to constituents. General Disaster clearly never felt the need to subscribe to that kind of nonsense, in fact all Queenslanders are supposed to feel extremely thankful that his nibs is around to lead us all to enlightenment.

Yes Minister
      Woop Woop
      March 24, 2014, 2:23PM
    • This article should be about pork barreling. Essentially the LNP have released a press release praising the dodgy pork barreling thats been going on to shore up support for an unpopular premier/local member. The point of the article is that the people of Ashgrove will get an unfair advantage (ie. extra money) that is the very definition of corrupt pork barreling.

Pork barreling coupled with the changes to the Crime and Misconduct Commission to remove the requirement that both the government and opposition agree on the chairperson (the government can now simply appoint whoever they like - that is it is no longer independent) make me think that Queensland is sliding back into Jo era politics and it will take another independent royal commission into official corruption before we see the end of this conservative government (just like the last one).

TJ Ryan
      Queensland
      March 24, 2014, 4:49PM
    • @TJ Ryan, don't fret - there's no pork barrelling going on. As a local, I can assure you that having the Premier as the local member hasn't made a lick of difference. He's done nothing at all for the area besides build a crazy big hall for the high school. Unless you are one of the few people linked to this school, then he's really done nothing of note to help the day to day lives of the average joe in Ashgrove. As usual, he's full of hot air and no actual substance.

Chris
      Ashgrove
      March 24, 2014, 5:38PM
    • I think you'll find the Opposition leader also lives outside of her electorate. It's not something that is unique to the Premier.

Tom
      Brisbane
      March 25, 2014, 11:37AM
    • Yes, it will be a bonus to actually be one of the lucky people who get to vote him out.

Scotty
      March 25, 2014, 2:11PM
  • As a resident of The Gap (which now takes in the State Electorate of Ashgrove) since 1961, I have watched many a politician strut their stuff and no one but the current incumbent does it better, with that sense of "Look at Me, Look at Me".

Like many in the LNP Government he seeks out those who share his point-of-view and really could not care one iota about the rest of us. Hopefully we will have a PUP candidate come next year who will wipe that holier than thou smile off his face.

Cicero
    Brisbane
    March 24, 2014, 1:31PM
    • Hear, hear! I'd love to see the condescending smirk wiped off his face.

Fluffy
      Brisbane
      March 24, 2014, 2:33PM
    • Has anyone noticed that smarmy smirks are standard wear for the Newman Goons, but especially Seeney & Bleijie.

Drunk guy at the pub
      Long Bar
      March 24, 2014, 3:55PM
    • Yep as smug as they get. I hope Queensland has the sense to send this lot packing at the next election. I've noticed he has shifted from hard arsed goon to attempting to change laws to get votes all of a sudden. The one-punch kill rule is great Newman, but you kicked out of office would be even better.

The forceful approach to Ella Bay near Innisfail in what is a largely untouched (no roads through) Cassowary habitat is truly disgraceful and should NEVER by developed. I am certainly no greenie and never vote for them but Queenslanders need to know what these grubs are up to.

Now Abbott is trying to abolish 10,500 pieces of "red tape". I'm all for progress but not through shady deals. I forecast plenty of sweeteners for Queenslanders in the lead up to the next election. Then the handbrake will applied and more jobs cut immediately afterwards.

That our ex-war vets are being pulled over for riding a Harley is a major disgrace. Newman must go.

Neal
      Cairns
      March 24, 2014, 4:22PM

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo