Chloe Campbell found safe: toddler's mum overjoyed

Police trying to unravel the mysterious disappearance and return of Chloe Campbell are interviewing the three-year-old Childers girl and her mother.

Chloe was reported abducted from her southeast Queensland family home, where she had been sleeping in the lounge room, on Thursday morning, sparking a huge police hunt.

Up Next

Barcelona terror attack: Aussies injured

Video duration

More National News Videos

Missing toddler Chloe Campbell found alive

Relief from the friends and family of Chloe Campbell as the toddler is found safe and well. Nine News.

But 42 hours after she went missing, police found her about 1am this morning in the town’s showgrounds across the road from her home while "performing crime scene duties nearby".

Detectives are speaking to Chloe and her mother Tammy O’Donnell at Childers police station.

Ms O’Donnell rushed to her daughter at the Bundaberg Base Hospital, hours after making a tearful plea for Chloe to be returned.

Inspector Kevin Guteridge says Chloe "appeared" at the showgrounds "quite randomly".


"We have no idea as to how she came to be here. We are looking at every aspect of that and maintaining a very open mind," he told reporters in Childers on Saturday.

"Obviously how she came to be at the showgrounds will be part of the investigation.

"It's one of those dreams that came true ... the greatest possible outcome for everyone."

Chloe's mother Tammy O'Donnell rushed to her daughter at the Bundaberg Base Hospital where she was checked over.

"(I'm) over the world; there is no other word to really describe how I'm feeling, just overjoyed," Ms O'Donnell told reporters.

She said she cuddled her daughter, who came through her ordeal physically fine but "really tired".

"I was just in tears. I didn't care if she woke up or not and then I just laid on the bed with her and gave her cuddles for a while and then we just came home to let everyone know," said the mother of four.

"She opened her eyes a little bit and (said) 'Mummy want to go home now' and passed out."

Speaking in far north Queensland, Premier Campbell Newman said he was "thrilled" Chloe had been found.

“It’s sensational news and I’m just thrilled for her family, for her mum and dad and all her other friends and relatives.

“I just hope she is indeed safe and sound and nothing untoward has happened. All we know at this stage is she’s been found and a person is assisting police with their inquiries.”

Investigations are continuing.

Police State Crime Command officers hope to interview Chloe on Saturday.

"The last couple of days our focus has been locating her and locating her safe and well," Insp Gutridge said.

"Now we will transition to the investigation phase and focus more on that, as to the circumstance of her disappearance.

"We're sincerely hoping to speak to Chloe and anyone that might have any information that can help us."