Clive Palmer is heading for Canberra.

Clive Palmer will face no further questions from the CCC.

The Crime and Corruption Commission has put an end to one of the latest rounds of political tit-for-tat by announcing it will not investigate either Clive Palmer or Queensland Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney.

Mr Palmer had accused the government of corruption but so far has given no examples.

Mr Seeney had referred documents regarding his office’s dealings with Mr Palmer in 2012, before Mr Palmer fell out with the Queensland LNP, to the CCC earlier in June, but did not make any specific allegations.

SEENEY AFR PHOTOGRAPH BY GLENN HUNT, 9th January 2013.
NEWS - Qld Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney standing outside Parliament House.

SEENEY AFR PHOTOGRAPH BY GLENN HUNT, 9th January 2013. NEWS - Qld Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney standing outside Parliament House. Photo: GLENN HUNT

Correspondence from the CCC to the Deputy Premier’s office, relayed that while the information Mr Seeney provided it “suggests that Mr Palmer sought to acquire exclusive development rights by means bypassing the process provided by the State Development and Public Works Organisation Act”, it found the proper processes were not bypassed “and there has been no adverse effect upon those processes”.

“There are no grounds to suspect that Mr Palmer was likely to have had any success in gaining preferential treatment for the development proposal,” it read.

“There is no evidence that the conduct alleged did in fact result in any corruption within the state government.”

 But Mr Palmer released a statement shortly after the CCC released its decision claiming Mr Seeney “should apologise for making false allegations to the state’s corruption watchdog”.

“He is a disgrace and a liar and he should apologise to the people of Queensland and his party room for bringing the LNP into disrepute,” Mr Palmer said.

Mr Palmer maintained that Mr Seeney “lied” about him submitting a draft bill to the deputy premier during an April 2012 meeting “that would supposedly give Waratah Coal control over the Galilee Basin in central Queensland”.

Mr Palmer said Warratah Coal “never sought to obtain exclusivity over the Galilee Basin or see to exclude others”.

A statement publicly released by the CCC on Friday afternoon announced neither would be investigated.

“In June 2014, Mr Seeney provided information to the former Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) alleging that Mr Palmer and his private company had tried to corruptly influence Mr Seeney while seeking approval of a development proposal in the Galilee Basin  including a rail corridor and port facilities at Abbot Point,” the statement read.

“Mr Palmer denied there was any truth to these allegations.

“When the CCC receives a referral, it first assesses the matter to determine whether it is in the CCC’s jurisdiction and, if so, whether a CCC investigation is warranted.

“The CCC has assessed the information provided by Mr Seeney and other material and determined that the allegations are within the CCC’s jurisdiction, however, the CCC will not investigate this matter.

“The CCC determined the prospects of proving any allegations of corrupt conduct to the requisite criminal standard were limited due to conflicting versions of events, the lack of corroborating evidence and the time that has passed.

“The CCC concluded that any investigation was unlikely to be conclusive or to produce any evidence to the criminal standard. The CCC therefore determined not to investigate this matter.”

Mr Palmer is suing both Mr Seeney and Premier Campbell Newman for defamation after an unrelated incident. That court case is on-going.  Mr Palmer is also pushing for a federal government Senate inquiry into the Queensland government.