Clive Palmer says deputy premier Jeff Seeney needs to “show some guts” and give the Crime and Misconduct Commission a specific complaint about his dealings with the government, calling the government’s decision to pass on documents “a bit weak”.
Speaking to Fairfax Media, Mr Palmer said Mr Seeney could “refer everyone in Queensland to the CMC” if he wanted to and once again labelled the deputy premier “a liar and a criminal”.
Mr Palmer did not make specific allegations against Mr Seeney but said he had “nothing to fear” from CMC investigators combing through all the documents Mr Seeney’s office possesses related to either him, or his company, Waratah Coal.
“I think if Mr Seeney had any genuine complaints, of the type he says, against anybody, he would report them at the time it happened, right,” Mr Palmer said.
“It is not something you would do just when we have 13 per cent of the vote, [a Reachtel poll result reported on Sunday]...that straight away he comes out with this outlandish allegations. “It is just politics at its worst level in Queensland.”
Mr Palmer said Mr Seeney was “frightened” to make a specific complaint against him.
“Because he knows it is not true,” he said.
“And if he makes a false complaint he goes to jail.
“...We’ll give Mr Seeney a bit more slack, like when you go marlin fishing, you tend to let them out a little bit before you jolt them in, so we’ll give him a bit more slack to show Mr Seeney is a liar and a criminal,” Mr Palmer said.
But he added that his dealings with the federal government would not be adversely influenced by the latest stoush with the Queensland LNP government.
“Mr Seeney is just a crook and he is just a liar and not all Liberal and National Party people are liars,” he said.
“He is just an unique individual. He has gone on television and you can see from his demeanour that he is lying.”
Has @JeffSeeney backed off? He's not complaining to CMC about me, just sending them documents. Consequences if he caught making false claims— Clive Palmer (@CliveFPalmer) June 10, 2014
Speaking in Redcliffe earlier in the day, Opposition MP Yvette D’ath said the government had been derelict in its duty by not reporting its concerns regarding Mr Palmer two years earlier when they first cropped up.
“They should not just should have, they are required under legislation to report any suspicious of official misconduct – and they didn’t,” she said.
“They need to answer why they are now coming out and doing it two years later.”
On Thursday Mr Seeney said “given the benefit of hindsight”, it “probably would have been better not to try and deal with him on the same basis as everybody else, just to reject him”.
But at the time, Mr Seeney said he considered Mr Palmer’s behaviour – allegedly seeking special treatment in exchange for campaign funding, or dropping legal action against the government – to be “inappropriate”.
“To me it was inappropriate behaviour, I rejected it immediately, and I was prepared to deal with Clive Palmer exactly the same as anyone else to try and develop the Galilee Basin, to create those jobs for Queenslanders,” Mr Seeney said.
“Whether or not it is anything more than that is up to the CMC to decide and that is really up to them.
“At the time, we were a new government, we were about creating jobs for Queenslanders, getting Queensland back on track and I consistently told Clive Palmer, every time I rejected one of his inappropriate advances, that I would deal with him on the same basis as everybody else.”
Mr Seeney said it was for the CMC to determine whether there had been any misconduct.