A 35-year-old man charged with the murder of Peter Milos is believed to be a friend of the slain chef.
James Thomas Howell, a New Zealander living in Morningside, has been charged with murder and will face the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Thursday.
Mr Milos, the former co-owner of popular Toowong restaurant Mariosarti, was found dead in a Morningside house on May 6.
Investigators now believe the 26 year old was murdered two days before his body was found by a female friend.
It appeared he had let Howell into the house and there were no signs of forced entry, Acting Superintendent Damien Hansen said.
Police believe Howell was a friend of Mr Milos. The pair were not living together but had known each other since late last year.
Acting Superintendent Hansen said police believed weapons were used in the attack, but wouldn’t provide further details or the suspected motive.
“I would describe it as a violent scene. We’ve got a number of items that are still being forensically examined,” he said.
He said Howell was one of the people interviewed early in the investigation, however he only became a suspect in the last week.
Howell was arrested and charged by the homicide unit and investigators from the Dutton Park CIB on Wednesday.
“He provided a version [of events]. Certainly other evidence came to light that implicated him and that’s resulted in today’s arrest,” Acting Superintendent Hansen said.
He said investigators linked Howell to the alleged crime through forensic evidence and security camera footage from near the murder scene.
Following the young chef’s death, details of Mr Milos’s past and his family’s criminal history were aired in the media, leading to speculation that his death may have been an underworld killing.
However, Acting Superintendent Hansen said Howell had no links to organised crime.
He said the Milos family were “very appreciative” of the work done by police.
“While it does provide some closure to them, they’re aware there’s a long process to go through the courts now,” he said.