$250k reward for Chardon killer
Police offer $250,000 in a public appeal to find the killer of Gold Coast woman Novy Chardon, including "indemnity for any accomplice".PT1M14S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-34nzb 620 349 March 13, 2014
The $250,000 reward put up for information that can solve the suspected murder case of Novy Chardon is a Queensland record, Police Minister Jack Dempsey says.
However, police have confirmed that the reward could be given to an accomplice who was involved in Mrs Chardon's disappearance, but did not commit the suspected murder.
Indemnity from prosecution could also be offered to an accomplice who did not commit the crime of murder, Gold Coast Detective Superintendent Dave Hutchinson said.
Missing Gold Coast woman Novy Chardon.
"They cannot be the primary offender. If we can utilise this method to gather sufficient evidence to put the main perpetrator before the court, well I think that's a good thing," he said on Thursday.
"The right person is not talking to us. We've interviewed lots of people ... there's somebody out there who has the key to solving this and we want to encourage them to come forward.
"If they want to take the chance and wait for police to come and knock on their door, they might be sorry they didn't make the telephone call and get in first and get the indemnity."
Police Minister Jack Dempsey said the strategy of offering cash incentives often resulted in "valuable information in return".
"This reward reflects the serious nature of this crime and the need to generate information from the public to continue this investigation," he said.
"We've seem previous investigations where the slightest information has reignited that investigation and it's all part of the puzzle that fits together."
Mrs Chardon, 34, was last seen at her Upper Coomera home on February 6, 2013. Her car was found abandoned near the Nerang train station five days later.
Police believe she was murdered and suspect more than one person was involved.
Last week, police spent three days digging up a Gold Coast hinterland backyard in search of a white ute that may be linked to the case.
Investigators eventually found a Ford F100 ute buried at the Mount Nathan home, but Superintendent Hutchinson said it was too early to say whether this was the specific vehicle they were searching for.
He said there were a number of persons of interest in the case.
The male occupant of the house has denied anything to do with Mrs Chardon's disappearance.
Mrs Chardon's husband, John Chardon, has been a person of interest in the case but has also denied any involvement.
In 2004, the Beattie government also offered $250,000 for information about Sunshine Coast schoolboy Daniel Morcombe's disappearance.
Two Brisbane City Council workers shared a $50,000 reward in 2009 after providing information that lead to the arrest of notorious bikeway rapist Luke Colless.