Queensland's premier has blamed the treasurer for worrying thousands of senior citizens over whether they'd be able to keep their electricity rebate.
Treasurer Curtis Pitt on Wednesday said he was considering a Queensland Productivity Commission recommendation to take an annual $320.97 rebate away from Queensland Seniors Card holders, affecting about 106,000 households.
The commission said the cards, given to anyone over 65, wasn't means tested and the subsidies would be better off going to about 155,000 low-income households that relied on Health Care Cards.
Mr Pitt then issued a statement on Thursday insisting seniors' rebates were safe.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Friday again reiterated the subsidies wouldn't be axed.
"My government will not make any changes that will impact Queensland Seniors Card holders," she said.
"Under my watch, that is never going to happen."
When asked why Mr Pitt said it was under consideration, the premier replied: "The treasurer was responding to a productivity report that had been handed down that day."
Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg said the confusion created unnecessary worry for seniors doing it tough.
"We have the treasurer of Queensland running around this state scaring the pants off our pensioners," he said.
Under the commission's recommendations, only those with just a Queensland Seniors' Card, mainly self-funded retirees, were under threat of losing the rebate.
People with a Pension Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card would still be eligible.
The government has also ruled out other recommendations from the commission's $4 million inquiry, including ending its Solar Rebate Scheme earlier and reconsidering its 50 per cent renewable energy target by 2030.
"It's costing the taxpayers of Queensland an absolute motza and then, once they put the effort into reporting, the government is completely confused about how to respond," Mr Springborg said.
"So it really makes you wonder, why go through the whole process in the first place?"