Queensland cabinet meets: the good, the bad and the no opinion

Amy Remeikis

Former LNP supporter Clive Palmer.

Former LNP supporter Clive Palmer. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Queensland government MP talking points for June 10:

Mining magnate turned politician Clive Palmer - bad

Chief justice - whoever is appointed will do a "fantastic/great" job.

Opinions - no.

As the ministers filed in to the Executive Building for their weekly cabinet meeting, a theme, as it so often does, emerged.

With former solicitor-general Walter Sofronoff publicly criticising predicted Chief Justice pick Tim Carmody as being too close to the government, ministers were quick to defend the appointment process.

"I think that anyone who is appointed will do a great job," Transport Minister Scott Emerson said.

Moments later mines minister Andrew Cripps concurred.

"I think the person who is appointed to the job will do a terrific job," he said.

"[Tim Carmody] has had a great career and the government obviously has confidence in Justice Carmody, appointing him Chief Magistrate and I think the Attorney-General and the Cabinet will deliberate and make its decision accordingly."

Energy Minister Mark McArdle said it would be a decision based on "intellect and leadership" and "anyone of that calibre and capacity will be appointed the job".

Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey was even more vague.

"Who ever is appointed, I am sure will be a good choice," she said.

And what qualities would that person need?

"Well, the qualities that have already been outlined in previous positions," she said.

Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek stuck to the line verbatim; "I think whoever gets the job will do a terrific job", while housing minister Tim Mander deferred to Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie to "make the right decision in due time".

Agricultural Minister John McVeigh also stuck to the script: "I am sure whoever is selected for that job will be the right person for the job."

Had he been provided with talking notes?

"I am sure whoever is selected will be the right person," he repeated.

But as fast as the ministers who came through the front door of cabinet were to defend the Chief Justice selection process, they were just as quick to denounce Clive Palmer after Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney's referral of the former-LNP-life-member-turned-number-one-detractor-and-federal-politician Clive Palmer to the Crime and Misconduct Commission.

At least most of them.

"I think Clive Palmer is someone who's only interest is self interest. I think we have seen that over and over again," Mr Emerson said.

A line Mr McVeigh seconded.

"It's clear to me that Clive Palmer just seems to be in it for himself. He's more interested in his power and his money and what he can buy more than anything else," he said.

Mr Mander went a little further.

"Mr Palmer needs to realise that government are not another toy that he can play around with," he said.

"We need stability in government, not somebody who is undermining that and seeking personal revenge so we'll let the CMC deal with that."

Mr Langbroek also expanded.

"I think Clive Palmer and his antics speak for themselves,'' he said.

"I'm sick of the novelty value of Clive Palmer. I think that most people who have got any considered view about politics would say this is a farce. How can it keep going.''

Mr Cripps declined to answer.  Mr McArdle said it was a matter for the CMC.

Ms Stuckey said it was a "question to ask Mr Seeney".

But did she have an opinion?

"No, I don't have an opinion," she said as she walked off.

• The usual pathetic claptrap from Newman's yes men.

solomon
    brisbane
    June 10, 2014, 11:29AM
    • Perhaps they should get Peter Beattie to show them how it is done.

No way
      June 10, 2014, 12:15PM
  • "It's clear to me that Clive Palmer just seems to be in it for himself. He's more interested in his power and his money and what he can buy more than anything else," he said. Sure, that's why Clive's in the game, but it's also the same reason why you greedy tossers are in the game. That's why we can't trust any of you! Not even allowed to express an independent opinion hey? At least Clive can say whatever he likes. We're just waiting for him to "express his opinion" about what goes on behind closed LNP doors...then watch the rats scatter!

PaxUs
    Austerelia
    June 10, 2014, 11:49AM
    • Jeeez , they are all parrots , don't they have a mind or thoughts of their own talk about towing the party line ...

Bill Grieve
      Ashgrove
      June 10, 2014, 12:06PM
      • I had a well positioned solicitor tell me just after the election, that this LNP Government was aware of changes that should be made to the internal investigative procedure, and that they intended to act. I have waited and waited and observe only the bikie laws and the hype about paedophiles to be the only thing of concern to Newman, Bleijie and QPS. Due to my experiences I am amused by the antics of the legal people who we obviously fear 'their' man missed out', enjoy it, for I sure will.

Ahhhhh------Justice!
        June 10, 2014, 10:02PM
    • Until Clivasaurus Rex got into the act, the Daisy Chain Routine was the sole prerequisite for graduates to enter the Noble Confines of the Loopy Left.

Geronimo
      Yippee Yi Yo
      June 10, 2014, 12:26PM
      • As opposed to the wingnuts on the right?

enuff
        QLD
        June 10, 2014, 10:27PM
    • 'A decision based on "intellect and leadership"'--just like the AG.

Shaslik
      June 10, 2014, 12:50PM
      • I think Ms Stuckey had the correct answer to the question. Stonewall the media; keep the voter in the dark. Spin thm a common spiel and everything will be hunkeu dorey.

Clive
        Manly West
        June 10, 2014, 1:12PM
        • Roll on July 19

chas
          Forest lake
          June 10, 2014, 1:19PM

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo