Queensland

Two Brisbane people charged over school bomb hoax call

Two people will appear in court on Monday on charges related to a bomb hoax call made at a school at Calamvale last week.

A 22-year-old man and a 17-year-old woman, both from West End, have been charged with one count each of using a carriage service for a hoax threat, falsely stating a bomb was present and wilful disturbance.

It will be alleged a threatening phone call was made to the school around 12.40pm on Wednesday. The school subsequently activated an evacuation plan before police were able to determine the threat to be unsubstantiated.

Calamvale Community College was one of more than 20 Queensland schools to have received threatening calls this week.

The pair is due to appear in the Richlands Magistrates Court on Monday.

Advertisement

Superintendent Mark Reid said although he couldn't go into detail about the call, those behind it had left police some clues.

"This one exhibited some other behaviours that made it possible for us to detect very quickly," he said on Saturday.

Police have also arrested an 18-year-old man over the bomb hoax and he's expected to be charged later on Saturday.

It is still unclear why Calamvale Community College was targeted.

Supt Reid said those found guilty of making a bomb threat faced up to five years' imprisonment.

He said the community was united in condemning such behaviour, which put a drain on police resources and had forced children to leave their air-conditioned classrooms in extreme heat.

"It targets probably one of our most vulnerable groups, which are our children," he said.

"It's very traumatising for the children themselves, and it puts a lot of pressure on the families as well trying to get down to the school."

Investigations are continuing.

With AAP

Don't miss important news stories. Like us on Facebook.

Advertisement