Sticking around: Beau Scott of the Knights.

Sticking around: Beau Scott of the Knights. Photo: Getty Images

Beau Scott wants to keep playing for the Knights no matter who replaces Wayne Bennett.

The Knights announced on Wednesday that the 30-year-old NSW enforcer, in the second year of a four-year contract, has extended his tenure until the end of 2017, almost certainly ensuring the former Dragons and Sharks forward will end his NRL career in Newcastle colours.

A decision on who succeeds Bennett as coach is imminent, and assistant Rick Stone is at unbackable odds to be appointed to take back the reins he handed to Bennett three years ago.

Scott said he had no inside knowledge about who will get the nod but he has enough faith in club management, and the players around him, to feel comfortable about committing to another season with the Knights irrespective of who calls the shots.

‘‘No I don’t, we’re still in the dark about that, but we have the people at the club to make the right decisions on our behalf, so when ever it gets announced, I fully support whoever it is,’’ Scott said.

Asked if the players have been consulted as part of the process to appoint Bennett’s successor, he said: ‘‘No. There’s no point talking about something we don’t know anything about.’’

Though there was speculation about Scott’s future when Bennett announced last month that he was returning to Brisbane, the 2010 premiership-winner said that he never considered leaving the Knights.

‘‘I’ve enjoyed my time up here,'' he said. ''Newcastle’s a very passionate football town and that’s what I like about the place and I’m happy to continue my football career here, and if all goes according to plan, finish it as well.

‘‘I know the playing group that I’ve got around me, and I’ve enjoyed the last two years, or year and a half, that I’ve been with the group myself, and I know what we can produce on the field so down the track I look forward to that.

‘‘We’ve got a fair few young fellas that I’m excited about their future, and I look forward to working with them down the track and in the pre-season to come, so that excites me.’’

Considered a leader by actions rather than words, Scott said he enjoyed being a mentor to younger players.

‘‘I’m not sure what other people would say about me, but I guess, like you said, I like to show them how things are done rather than tell them how they’re done,’’ he said.

Knights chief executive Matt Gidley said the club’s interim board will meet on Thursday night as part of the process to announce Bennett’s successor. Gidley did not expect any decision being made on the night, but he hoped to announce an appointment early next week.

Meanwhile, Scott expected the Knights would treat Storm prop Jordan McLean as just another player and Melbourne as just another team when they meet at Hunter Stadium on Saturday night.

McLean was suspended for seven games for his role in the lifting tackle that resulted in Knights forward Alex McKinnon suffering a career-ending spinal injury the last time the two teams met – at AAMI Park on March 24.

Storm captain Cameron Smith expressed concerns about how Knights players and fans would react to McLean’s presence at Hunter Stadium, but Scott dismissed it as a ‘‘non-issue’’.

‘‘We haven’t given it any time at all, to tell the truth. It’s just another game of football against Melbourne,’’ Scott said.

‘‘Obviously it wasn’t a very nice thing that happened in Melbourne with Alex, and we all know about that and we’ve all moved on, and it’s just another game of football now. It’s been a non-issue for us, to tell the truth.’’