St George Illawarra appear to be Josh Dugan's only remaining option after the Broncos terminated negotiations with the sacked Canberra star following an Instagram tirade in which he told a Raiders fan to ''end yourself''.
With NRL officials confirming the latest incident would be taken into consideration when deciding whether to register a contract for Dugan with a new club, Brisbane chief executive Paul White announced late on Sunday that the Broncos had withdrawn their interest in him.
Before the incident, the Broncos had been planning to meet NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to discuss how they could fit Dugan under their salary cap this season.
It is believed Dugan was close to finalising a three-year deal with Brisbane worth about $600,000 a season, but White said the Broncos would not make an application to register a playing contract for him with the NRL.
''We will not be making any attempt to register a contract for Josh Dugan with the NRL," White said. "While there were some negotiations, they are now over.''
Schubert is also responsible for determining when Dugan can play again after being sacked by the Raiders on March 13 for failing to attend a recovery session and training following Canberra's round one loss to Penrith.
He also had an argument with David Furner after the Raiders coach turned up at Dugan's house, and posted a photo on Instagram of himself and teammate Blake Ferguson drinking alcohol on the roof of Ferguson's house.
While the Broncos and the Dragons had both expressed interest in Dugan, the NRL wanted to consider an extensive ''dirt file'' forwarded by the Raiders on his previous misdemeanours with the club before registering a contract for him.
NRL media and communications manager John Brady indicated Dugan's abusive tirade towards fans on Saturday night would be taken into account by Schubert.
''Through the salary cap auditor we are already looking into serious issues that would need to be considered in assessing any registration application on behalf of Josh Dugan,'' Brady said.
''If indeed the postings are genuine then they are concerning in the extreme and will have to be taken into consideration in determining his immediate future in the NRL. No application has been made by any club at this stage.
''The salary cap auditor has to determine in any registration application if a person is likely to comply with the NRL rules and he can take into account all relevant material in arriving at that decision.''
The Raiders' decision to sack Dugan was supported by the club's senior players, who had become tired of his antics, and it is believed Broncos' players had concerns about his move to Brisbane.
Broncos winger Josh Hoffman ''liked'' a comment posted on Facebook on Sunday after former Melbourne and Bulldogs winger Steve Turner told ABC Radio that senior Brisbane players should be consulted before the club signed Dugan.
St George Illawarra players had publicly endorsed the club's bid to sign Dugan before it became clear that Brisbane were his first preference and with the Broncos now out of the running the Dragons may be his last hope.
Dragons officials did not respond to text messages about Dugan on Sunday.