Rugby League

License article

Eels player Liam Foran cleared of assault

Parramatta rugby league player Liam Foran has been cleared of common assault following an alleged family dispute over money. 

The utility player fronted Gosford Local Court on Tuesday with lawyer Warwick Korn and had his case withdrawn. It was alleged that Foran assaulted his uncle Kevin Fielden at the home Foran shared with his mother at Wamberal on the state's Central Coast between 8:30pm-9:10pm on January 12. During a melee, Foran was struck with a glass bottle and was left needing 21 stitches to his head after spending four hours in hospital. Foran was not drinking alcohol. Fielden has been twice asked to return from New Zealand to give evidence but has not.

An AVO against Foran, which was taken out for contacting his mother and uncle, has been revoked.

The family gathering started at Liam’s brother Kieran’s house on the northern beaches of Sydney before Foran drove his uncle and mother to the Central Coast.  Injured Kiwi star Kieran gave a written statement in support of his brother.

The alleged incident began after a fight over money. 

Liam did not pursue court costs from his uncle. Foran joined Parramatta this year after leaving English Super League club Salford only six months into a three-year deal, playing 17 games last year.

He has struggled to be a regular NRL player since playing three games for Melbourne in 2008. Foran added eight more top-grade games for Manly in 2012 after a brief stint with the Warriors, where he did not feature in their first-grade team.

Foran is yet to make his NRL debut at this new club. The Eels released a statement in January in support of Foran.

“The NRL Integrity Unit was informed of the incident earlier in January, and the club has undertaken its own internal investigation,” the statement read. “The club is supporting Liam through this difficult time. As this is an ongoing legal matter, neither Liam nor the club are in a position to make any further comment at this time.”