Rugby League


Hat-trick not good enough for Macey

IT'S NOT often a player shakes his head and describes his performance as ''terrible'' after scoring a hat-trick.

But that was the appraisal Queanbeyan Kangaroos fullback Jordan Macey gave himself after a roller-coaster effort in his side's 24-18 win over Gungahlin yesterday.

Filling in for representative fullback Daniel Watt, the regular hooker's try-scoring heroics were offset by a mountain of handling errors, especially in the first half.

But the 28-year-old found his touch when it mattered most, scoring the last two tries of the game to help maintain the Kangaroos' undefeated start to the season.

With the Roos trailing 18-14, Macey levelled the scores running off a pass from five-eighth Aaron Gorrell in the 62nd minute.

Two minutes later, he swooped on a stray Gungahlin pass close to its own line, and toed it through to score.


Not long afterward, he wrapped up Whylie Manton in a crucial one-on-tackle after his opposite number broke the Kangaroos' defensive line.

Gungahlin had plenty of chances to draw level in the dying stages, but the Kangaroos defence held firm.

''I just didn't concentrate on a few of them [catches], it was terrible,'' Macey said afterward.

''I was just worried about catching the ball in the end, but it's always good to get a few tries. It's the first time I've had the opposition fans chanting my name in a game.''

In a quality contest, the kicking games of Queanbeyan halves Gorrell and Zach Smith ultimately proved the difference.

On debut, young halfback Smith showed why he has attracted the eye of Canberra Raiders scouts by controlling the match nicely in the wet conditions.

''It was good to have guys that can slow everything down. It's always tough in these wet conditions, but the boys really dug in deep at the end and it was character-building,'' Macey said.

In other matches yesterday, Belconnen United leapfrogged Yass into second place on the Canberra Raiders Cup ladder with a 34-0 shutout of the Magpies.

West Belconnen secured its first win of the season with a 22-16 upset of the Queanbeyan Blues, while Woden Valley thrashed Tuggeranong 40-14.