Jorge Taufua playing for Sea Eagles against the Melbourne Storm during the NRL semi-finals. Photo: Getty Images
Manly say they will prepare a report for the NRL after rookie winger Jorge Taufua was charged with serious assault on the Gold Coast.
Taufua has been banned from licensed premises in Queensland after allegedly spitting at a police officer in the early hours of this morning.
The 20-year-old faced the Southport Magistrates Court today charged with serious assault and was granted bail on condition he report to police in Sydney.
In a brief statement, the Sea Eagles said they had been in contact with Taufua and denied claims other players were with the youngster at the time of the alleged assault.
‘‘The club has been in contact with Jorge Taufua in relation to an alleged incident on the Gold Coast this morning,’’ the statement said.‘‘
Jorge will meet with club officials for further discussions early next week and a report will be prepared for the NRL.
‘‘To clarify earlier queries, no other Sea Eagles players were with Jorge at the time of the alleged incident.’’
Taufua broke through to play 24 first-grade games for the club this year and signed a two-year deal in June.
The matter will return to court on January 10.