Rugby League

License article

NRL season 2017: Sam Thaiday charged for attack on Jesse Bromwich

Show comments

Sam Thaiday's questionable tactic to target the injured thumb of Jesse Bromwich has been deemed against the spirit of the game and he has been charged by the match review committee.

Thaiday raised eyebrows when he appeared to deliberately pull at the heavily bandaged thumb of Bromwich on Thursday night, the same thumb the New Zealand skipper dislocated against the Bulldogs in round one.

Up Next

Dragons in free fall after loss to Broncos

Video duration

More Rugby League Videos

Billy Slater returns in Storm win

The Melbourne Storm have welcomed back Billy Slater with a 14-12 win over the Brisbane Broncos

Bromwich returned from the compound fracture in his side's win against the Broncos at AAMI Park, however Thaiday tested out its durability in the physical encounter that was decided by a sideline conversion from Cameron Smith on the stroke of full-time.

Thaiday claimed he was punched in the tackle, but Smith intervened and said, "You can't rip fingers, either".

The Storm prop tried to pull Thaiday's hand away from his thumb when he felt the Queenslander tugging at him, but the incident went unnoticed by head referee Gerard Sutton in what was at times a spiteful contest.

The match review committee hit Thaiday with a grade one contrary conduct charge on Friday afternoon for his attempts to manipulate the thumb that only a fortnight ago had the bone pierce the skin.


Under the old system Thaiday would have been forced to miss a game for his indiscretion, however the introduction of the fine system for minor offences will see the Broncos forward hit with a $1550 fine with an early plea or $2100 if he fights and is found guilty.

Bromwich didn't make a complaint after the game and Storm officials weren't aware of the incident the following morning given he didn't have any additional discomfort at the end of the match.

The Storm's two-point win has come at a heavy price with five-eighth Cameron Munster breaking his jaw after a head collision with Broncos winger Corey Oates in the second half.

The in-form Munster, who immediately began spitting out blood following the impact, faces four to six weeks on the sidelines.

Melbourne winger Suliasi Vunivalu faces up to three weeks on the sidelines after injuring his shoulder in the first half.

Vunivalu played the majority of the game carrying the injury and was pushed in the back by Thaiday during a scuffle in the second half.

The incident involving Thaiday and Bromwich came after a contentious decision from the bunker to deny Will Chambers a try that would have given the Storm the lead late in the match after they trailed 12-8.

Sutton sent the decision upstairs after an on-field call of no try, which was backed up by the bunker given Chambers had lost possession of the ball short of the line.

A later replay created further conjecture but referees boss Tony Archer has backed the decision of the officials.

"I have had the opportunity to fully review the decision," Archer said.

"The decision to rule that Will Chambers loses possession of the ball short of the line is the correct one. Further review of the live decision of no try by the Bunker confirmed that Chambers' hand had come away from the ball, whilst the ball is on the ground, prior to the ball touching the tryline.

"Split screen technology allowed the review officials to pinpoint the moment the player lost possession. At the same point, the end-on camera showed that the ball was short of the line. That is a knock-on, and any subsequent promotion of the ball using the forearm was irrelevant as the knock-on had already occurred."