Sacked Newcastle Knights hard man Zane Tetevano stands accused of a series of late-night attacks on his former girlfriend and her property, including three alleged assaults in the early hours of a game day.
Tetevano, 23, was handed a court attendance notice, which listed 11 charges involving varying degrees of assaults, malicious damage and intimidation, when he attended Newcastle Local Court on Thursday for an apprehended violence order.
Police had served Tetevano with the AVO on May 14, a day after receiving a complaint from his former partner Jessica Guilbaud-Oulton that she had been assaulted by the Cook Islands international.
‘‘The assaults allegedly occurred on four separate occasions between November 2013 and April 2014 when the woman was allegedly pushed, kicked and punched,’’ a police statement said.
An interim AVO has been granted and includes conditions that Tetevano not live with Guilbaud-Oulton, not appear at her address within 12 hours of consuming alcohol or drugs and that he not destroy or damage her property.
Tetevano will face two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, five counts of common assault, three counts of malicious damage and one count of intimidation.
Three of the assaults, including one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, are alleged to have taken place in 90 minutes in the in the early hours of Good Friday.
That night, Tetevano ran out with the Knights at Hunter Stadium to play Brisbane.
Tetevano was sacked from the Knights after admitting to smashing the windscreen of a taxi in the early hours of April 28.
Police will now allege Tetevano damaged Guilbaud-Oulton’s Ford Fiesta about the same time he damaged the taxi.
The intimidation charge, where he is accused of intending to cause her fear of physical or mental harm, is alleged to have taken place about 8am that day.
He is also alleged to have assaulted the 21-year-old on November 21 and March 9.
The other malicious damage charges allegedly involve an iPhone and five photo frames.
Tetevano will face the charges in Newcastle Local Court on July 10.
The latest charges will be another hurdle for Tetevano wanting to make any sort of return to the NRL.
‘‘The player’s employment has been terminated by his club and, in considering any future application for registration, the NRL is required to form a view as to whether someone is a fit and proper person to be registered as a player,’’ NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle said.
‘‘The outcome of this proceeding and other matters would have to be strongly considered if any club at any level of the game was to apply for a registration on his behalf.’’
The Knights have offered Tetevano and Guilbaud-Oulton counselling and support.
‘‘While Zane Tetevano is no longer a Newcastle Knights player, the club has provided assistance as he transitions out of the club,’’ the Knights said in a statement issued on Thursday night.
‘‘This includes an offer of counselling support to he and his ex-girlfriend at this time.’’