State of Origin II: Anthony Watmough tells Maroons, 'come and get it'

"I would not be playing this game if I thought I would be a passenger": Anthony Watmough. Photo: Getty Images

Blues enforcer Anthony Watmough is expecting Queensland to rip his arm off on Wednesday night, but has throw down the gauntlet urging the Maroons to "come and get it".

Watmough has been plagued by a bicep injury for most of this season, aggravating the problem in the gruelling battle at Suncorp Stadium in game one of this year's Origin series.

And while he insists it won't hamper his performance, he knows Queensland will be doing everything in their power to pile on the pain at ANZ Stadium. on Wednesday night.

"There's no doubt they are going to try and pull at it and bend it and rip it off," Watmough said. "We had that last week against the Dogs and we dealt with it then. It's one of those injuries you can't really hide it, so you have to go out there and throw it around the best you can.

"You look in Origin, everyone goes up another notch and everyone tries to rip your head off. I expect everyone and anyone to have a crack. Maybe the trainer might run on and have a crack at some stage. I'm not hiding from the fact it's there. Come and get it, it's there for the taking."
The niggle, if you can call it that, is at a completely different level in Origin football to club land. Friends become enemies, and anyone in a different coloured jersey is fair game.

While Watmough insists he would never intentionally hurt another player, he says he is expecting it from the Maroons on Wednesday.

"It's been around for a long time and I'm not saying I'm the type of player that goes out there to hurt anyone intentionally or anything like that, but in this arena you expect it," Watmough said.

"You go into every tackle expecting your head to get ripped off. I got no doubt that if the arms are strapped up, she's going to get twisted and pulled. There's not much I can do about it."

Skipper Paul Gallen lashed out at Nate Myles last series with a barrage of punches, erupting  after years of torture and torment the Queensland forward had inflicted on the Blues.

Blues backrower Greg Bird said he would "expect nothing less" from the Maroons this time around, aware Watmough would receive special attention from Queensland.

"I don't think that it would surprise any of us, nor you guys," Bird said. "Those tactics haven't been something that's been completely foreign to their preparation before. I'd expect nothing less.

"But, mate it's State of Origin. If I came out and had a whinge, it'd be hypocritical because I push the boundaries myself."

While Bird has a few stitches under his eye keeping a wound together, he knows that it's likely to open up again given Queensland's tactics.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it does [open up]," he said. "Hopefully, I can protect my head but it's different to ripping someone's arm and smacking someone's face. I should be right."

Watmough isn't at 100 per cent fitness, but he laughed off claims that he would be a liability. He's adamant that he wouldn't have put his hand up to help NSW end Queensland's eight-year dominance if he would jeopardise all that the Blues have built towards.

"I would not be playing this game if I thought I would be a passenger," Watmough said. "Against the Dogs the other day, it hurt but it was bearable. I think that was the best part of it, just getting your head around that pain and not be timid with it. You know it's going to hurt so you just have to deal with the pain and move on and throw it around the best I can.

"At the start it was painful, but it doesn't flare up after sessions. It's just one of them things that if we didn't train and play every week, it would get better really quickly. Once the swelling and blood went, it was gone. The pain just immediately went. It's a little bit weak but I have to build it up."

• Anthony, Queensland have been asking you to come and get it for 8 years and you have failed. One game doesn't make you a champion team but critically you have a coach you bleeds blue and that is starting to show in the culture of the team. I was at the first game and the defence of Queensland was fantastic in the first half with 35% possession. The defence of NSW in the second was well nothing short of amazing. Tired legs, 60 minutes of origin, stuck on your line. Brilliant.
    I picked a NSW win at Easter with a passionate NSW supporter - which was painful for a staunch Queensland supporter but in Laurie you have a coach that has integrity and passion. I think your thug captain cost you the game last year with the cheap shots. This year it is a far more disciplined team and hard as teak.
    Go Queensland - I am going to the 3rd game and want it to be a decider.

Darren
    June 15, 2014, 6:47PM
    • pathetic. NSW isn't any different, in fact with Gallen, probably worse than Queensland.

pi meson
      June 15, 2014, 8:04PM
      • Bleating already are we Queensland?

cl
        June 16, 2014, 2:10PM
    • That's it, talk it up. You should take up motivational speaking.The only chance to win NSW has is being more motivated than QLD.

Oh, and I think the refs are smart enough to realise you're attempting to prime them to give you a penalty for legal attacks on your poor wittle arm.

Wal

Wal
      Brisbane
      June 16, 2014, 7:52AM
      • Any reason for the dacks down ?

Mankad
        Up in Palmerland ?
        June 16, 2014, 8:36AM
        • We don't want your arm anthony....you'll need it for grabbing tissues after game 3....

no thanks
          June 16, 2014, 9:10AM
          • It is balloon, no balloon, so why do aussiess insist on saying maroan as opposed to maroon? How about macaroon, not macaroan!!

Why
            June 16, 2014, 10:02AM
            • I was delighted a couple of years ago to hear Alfie say Maroons (as in balloons). If Alfie can get it right, why not every one else??? Even people who say maroan make an exception for the band Maroon-5, and they don't even know why!

Blazza
              Tassie
              June 16, 2014, 3:53PM
          • A typical no brainer NRL player!
            He hasnt been taught to be humble...too arrogant!
            I hope it flies into his face even though I want blues to win!

hs
            syd
            June 16, 2014, 12:31PM
            • He's arrogant? Fair go, take a look north of the Tweed and see what real arrogance is.

granny may
              June 16, 2014, 1:40PM

Related Coverage

State of Origin II: Anthony Watmough and Greg Bird find plenty to praise in Jarryd Hayne

He's won premierships, he's played for his country and represented his state, but Anthony Watmough has described Jarryd Hayne's Origin one performance as one of the greatest memories of his career.

State of Origin II: Blues ready to push pain threshold higher

Even now, no one in the NSW camp really knows just how they managed to hang on and win Origin I.

Eels coach Brad Arthur's surprise package had the Bulldogs flummoxed

The secret weapon. The art of surprise. The shock tactics. We don't see a lot of it these days in the NRL.

Chris Sandow picks up where Jarryd Hayne left off to lift Parramatta Eels to victory

Parramatta have made light work of the absence of Jarryd Hayne, with Chris Sandow impersonating their NSW Origin No.1 with a masterful display at fullback in a 10-point win over the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

Hitman Greg Bird still bleeds over NSW's lost State of Origin chances

Buried deep inside the confines of the ANZ Stadium dressing room, Blues hitman Greg Bird thought the Queensland streak would never end.

Trent Hodkinson keen to get running boots on

NSW are set to threaten Queensland’s defensive line even more, with halfback Trent Hodkinson intending to take on the Maroons and lift his running game after finishing the opening encounter with just one run.

Related Coverage

Overall standings
          Team P W L D +/- Pts
          New Zealand 1 1 0 0 18 0
          England 1 1 0 0 6 0
          Samoa 1 0 1 0 -6 0
          Australia 1 0 1 0 -18 0

Win an iPad mini by entering our Sport survey