Cronulla fullback Valentine Holmes and Melbourne utility Cameron Munster have been told they will not be considered for State of Origin selection this year and four other Queensland players may suffer the same fate after breaking curfew during last weekend's Emerging Maroons camp.
Holmes is also being investigated by the Sharks after being fined for causing a public nuisance and obstructing police at a taxi rank while attempting to return to the team hotel at the Brisbane suburbs of Mt Gravatt.
Emerging Origin stars banned
More cold nights ahead
Cyclist fighting for life
Bomb robot in Ipswich park
Videobombing Georgia still number one
Dumb robber: worst entry ever
Close shave at Gold Coast airport
Stabbing victim a 'beautiful lady'
Emerging Origin stars banned
Two emerging State of Origin players are banned from playing for Queensland for a year after breaking curfew in Brisbane on Saturday night: Vision: Channel Seven
Munster, Sydney Roosters forward Dylan Napa, Brisbane's Anthony Milford and Jarrod Wallace and Newcastle's Korbin Sims are the other players reported to have broken curfew after a team dinner last Saturday night.
The 20-man squad had been told to leave the Story Bridge Hotel at about midnight and return to their hotel but the six players later decided to catch a taxi back into Fortitude Valley.
Holmes, 20, allegedly jumped the queue at a taxi rank at 4:15am on Sunday and when the driver told him to get out, Holmes threatened him, Queensland Police said. Security was called and he ran away, but when police caught up with him he refused to produce identification.
Holmes was issued with an infringement notice for obstructing police and public nuisance.
Fairfax Media has been told that Munster was not with Holmes at the time he was stopped by police but both players have been banned from Origin this season after refusing to tell Queensland officials which teammates were out with them.
The QRL is continuing its investigation into the incident and has not ruled out similar action against the other players as new coach Kevin Walters attempts to stamp his authority on the squad after being appointed in December to take over the Maroons job from Mal Meninga.
Napa was 18th man for Queensland in last year's series, while Milford is believed to be close to Origin selection after his starring role for the Broncos in their 17-16 grand final loss to North Queensland.
The camp was Walters's first official role as Maroons coach and he expressed his disappointment at the actions of the players who broke curfew.
"On Saturday afternoon we sat down as a group and spoke about the importance of making the right choices," Walters said. "Regrettably, there were some players who made poor choices after we had wrapped up the official part of that day's program."
QRL managing director Robert Moore confirmed Holmes and Munster would be excluded from Maroons selection for the next 12 months.
A statement issued on Monday night said Holmes had broken curfew during the Emerging Origin camp and was subject to further investigation by the QRL and NRL integrity unit, while Munster had been banned solely for breaking curfew. Moore said it was possible that action would be taken against other players if they were identified as breaking curfew.
While the QRL's stance may seem tough, many were surprised the players would breach curfew just days after the career of Roosters captain Mitchell Pearce was thrown into doubt after he was filmed making unwanted advances to a woman and simulating a sex act with a dog while in a highly intoxicated state. Roosters players, including Napa, had been on a harbour cruise before going to the Royal Oak Hotel in Double Bay and were given instructions to go home afterwards but Pearce and new recruits Dale Copley and Jayden Nikorima continued partying.
The incidents in Brisbane follows the banning of Newcastle centre Dane Gagai from Origin selections after a drunken offence while attending the 2014 Emerging Maroons camp.
Despite his disappointment, Walters said he took a lot of positives away from the camp.