Broadcaster Ray Hadley says he has been confronted with the "biggest personal challenge" of his life following the breakdown of his marriage this year, which has led to accusations that he is trying to derail the NSW State of Origin campaign.
On his 2GB morning show on Friday, Hadley told listeners that all he was trying to do was to "get some dignity from a very undignified situation", after his estranged wife Suzanne began dating NSW Origin assistant coach Matt Parish.
Hadley on Friday morning conceded that his private life was public, and for the first time provided an insight into the toll the break-down of his marriage had taken on him.
"I've never be one to be overwhelmed by things, but this year has provided me with no doubt my biggest personal challenge," he said.
"At times I've felt like staying in bed and not coming here [to 2GB]. Some mates have suggested, 'Maybe, son, you'd better talk to someone, you might need some help'."
Origin coach Laurie Daley had accused Hadley of attempting to exert his influence and power to have Parish, who is also the Canberra Raiders' assistant coach, disciplined or stood down from his Origin coaching position.
Hadley was said to be angered that Parish and his estranged wife had recently become involved in a relationship, and had been seen together at official NRL functions together.
Hadley had been lobbying various NRL figures for weeks since Parish and Suzanne began their relationship, Daley claimed.
On Friday morning, Hadley said the support of his friends, particularly rugby league great Bob Fulton, had helped him through a difficult time.
"Bob Fulton has been providing me with strength and support and, to be honest, without his help and advice, I'd probably be in big trouble today," Hadley said.
"He has phoned me every day to check on my welfare. Other people have either sent me a text or called to simply say 'Are you OK?'"
News Corp Australia reported on Friday that Hadley had discussed Parish in a telephone conversation with NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden last week, and NSWRL directors held an unscheduled board meeting on Monday.
The Parish matter was said to have been added to the agenda of that meeting as an urgent item.
Daley has thrown his support behind Parish, and the board voted unanimously to support Daley and keep the Blues' staff. Daley also claimed that Hadley had used his radio program to attack him personally in the past week and undermine his coaching campaign with the NSW Origin team.
On Friday, Hadley did not address Daley's claims, other than to say he spoke to Daley once on Tuesday last week.
"He [Daley] was very supportive and offered his friendship. That's a friendship that's been in existence for almost 30 years. From my point of view, nothing has changed," Hadley said.
In February this year, it emerged that Suzanne Hadley had gone to Hornsby police station and spoken to officers. That discussion prompted police to apply for an AVO against the 2GB host.
Another application was also lodged against Hadley's son Daniel, a 24-year-old police officer stationed at St Marys.
However the following day police said that, following further discussions with Mrs Hadley, the applications would be withdrawn.
The husband and wife separated days later.
Parish declined to comment when approached by Fairfax Media this week.
Hadley said that, while he expected his private life to be discussed in public because of his position, the lives of his wife and children should be off limits.
"They should be spared all of this. I've told my former wife previously, and repeat today: I wish her well and hope she can find happiness. I won't be making any more comments on the matter. It's back to business," he said.