Maro Itoje will be one of seven uncapped players named on Wednesday (Thursday AEDT) in Eddie Jones's first England squad, with the new head coach poised to cull some of the leading figures of Stuart Lancaster's regime including Tom Wood, Brad Barritt, Geoff Parling, Ben Morgan and Luther Burrell.
It is understood that there will be no place either for former Melbourne Rebels fiive-eighth Danny Cipriani or Richard Wigglesworth and Rob Webber, both of whom featured in England's World Cup campaign, when Jones names his 33-man squad for the Six Nations campaign.
Sport: The week's best plays
From beating the buzzer to breaking droughts, these are the most exciting, silly and downright crazy plays in the sporting world this week.
Chris Robshaw, who captained England during Lancaster's 3½ years, will retain his place, while there will be returns for Dylan Hartley and Manu Tuilagi, who both missed the World Cup because of disciplinary issues while Tuilagi has also had a long-standing groin problem.
Hartley is the favourite to take over the captaincy from Robshaw although he must prove his fitness and form in Northampton's final two European Champions Cup pool matches, having lost his place in the starting XV after missing games because of concussion and a rib injury, before Jones appoints his leader ahead of the Six Nations launch on January 27.
Robshaw will be selected in the squad as a blindside flanker with two other uncapped players, Jack Clifford and Will Fraser, poised to compete for the openside position.
Tuilagi, 24, who returned to action for the first time in 15 months in the win against Northampton last Saturday, will not be considered for England's opening games of the Championship but could feature in the latter stages as he plays his way back to match fitness with Leicester. He is expected to start at inside centre for Leicester against Treviso on Saturday.
There will also be a return to the squad for Chris Ashton and Marland Yarde, whose last appearance came against Australia in November 2014. Ashton's last cap came against New Zealand in June 2014.
The return of such experienced heads as Hartley, Tuilagi and Ashton is complemented by an injection of fresh talent including Josh Beaumont, the Sale forward and son of former England's 1980 Grand Slam captain Bill, who is now the Rugby Football Union chairman.
Beaumont's inclusion comes at the expense of Gloucester No 8 Ben Morgan, while Matt Kvesic, his club team-mate who was tipped to contend the openside position does not make the cut.
Paul Hill, the Northampton prop, and the Wasps centre Elliot Daly are also both expected to be included while there were indications that Bath's Ollie Devoto was also under strong consideration for one of the midfield berths.
Joe Simpson, the Wasps scrum-half, is likely to replace Wigglesworth along with Ben Youngs and Danny Care as one of three scrum-halves.
Jones was only allowed to make 11 changes to the World Cup squad because of the rules that govern the agreement between the Rugby Football Union and the clubs while injuries have limited some of his options with Henry Slade, Jonny May, Ed Slater and Dave Attwood all unavailable.
The inclusion of so many uncapped players will bring a new look and energy to the squad and Itoje, who made the original 50‑man training squad for the World Cup last June but was released after three weeks, said on Tuesday night that he was ready to make the step up to the international stage.
"I think I am ready," said Itoje, who is only in his second season with Saracens after playing in the England Under-20s side that won the world title in 2014. "Given the opportunity I think I would do well. I am confident in my ability. If I am put in that situation I think I will give a good account of myself.
"I am fortunate enough to have played a lot from around about this time last year as I have been quite involved in the first team at Saracens. I have played in some of the bigger games and the bigger occasions.
"There is a cumulative effect of all those matches and all those experiences I have gained over the last 12 months have helped me to where I am now."
Itoje said that he benefited from experience with England last year, but felt he could have had an impact at the World Cup. "Personally I thought I could have contributed. I always knew it was going to be tough but I did think I would last more than three weeks.
"I was disappointed to go away so early. The coaches have a difficult decision to make. Whoever they cut at that time wasn't going to be happy. The coaches gave me some decent feedback and told me some things I need to work on to continue to develop and hopefully get in the team in the future.
"There will always be things I need to improve on but I am definitely a better player now than I was six months ago."
Meanwhile, the former England assistant coach Andy Farrell, who is poised to join Ireland in June, has joined Munster in a temporary advisory role. The 40-year-old, who will become Ireland defence coach, will provide part-time support to Munster for four months.
The Telegraph, London