Rugby Union


Force pay heavy price for sin bin in loss to Stormers

The defensive dam wall finally broke for the Western Force as they crashed to a 24-8 Super Rugby loss to the lowly Stormers in Cape Town.

Looking for a franchise record eighth win of the season, the Perth-based franchise didn't get a foothold in the game until the final quarter, by which time they were 24-3 down.

The Stormers, who started the game early Sunday AEST at the bottom of the ladder, scored three tries to one.

After totally dominating the first quarter, they took took control on the scoreboard with 14 unanswered points either side of halftime while they had a numerical advantage.

They piled on two converted tries while Force second-rower Adam Coleman was in the bin for collapsing a maul.

The Force were starved of possession in the first half, which ended with the Stormers tallying over 70 per cent in both categories.


"They came out firing and and we couldn't absorb it and couldn't go back at them," Force captain and flanker Matt Hodgson said.

"We couldn't run down that lead, I thought we did a much better job in the second half and they defended quite well."

The visitors made several try-saving tackles before Stormers five-eighth Peter Grant kicked a 17th minute penalty to open the scoring after he missed with a previous attempt.

Grant, playing his 100th Super game, then converted a 20th minute try to centre Juan De Jongh, who rounded off a slick backline move.

South Africa-born five-eighth Sias Ebersohn kicked a penalty to get the Force on the board but the Stormers ruthlessly capitalised on their numerical advantage.

They were awarded a penalty try in the 39th minute after splintering the seven-man Force scrum two minutes after Coleman was binned.

Up 17-3 at the break the Stormers added seven more points before Coleman returned, as Grant converted after lock Ruan Botha crashed over for his first Super try.

Force finally enjoyed some ball in the final quarter.

Halves Ian Prior and Ebersohn both went close, before skipper Matt Hodgson crashed over while the Stormers were down to 13 men, with outside Cheslin Kolbe and Jaco Taute were in the bin.

There was still time for winger Nick Cummins to be stopped just short of the line and fullback Jayden Hayward spilled the ball over the line.

STORMERS 24 (1 penalty try) (Ruan Botha, Juan De Jongh tries Peter Grant 3 cons pen) bt WESTERN FORCE 8 (Matt Hodgson try Sias Ebersohn pen) at Newlands Rugby Stadium. Referee: Chris Pollock.