Folau says he's didn't sign with Waratahs for the money

Joining the Waratahs ... Israel Folau.

Joining the Waratahs ... Israel Folau. Photo: Anthony Johnson

ISRAEL Folau insists he has no regrets about the way his playing future has worked out after confirming a one-year deal with NSW Waratahs.

Folau had been expected to return to the NRL with Parramatta after securing a release from the final two years of his $1.5 million per season AFL deal but after becoming frustrated by protracted negotiations he will play a third code.

Speaking for the first time since he turned his back on an offer from the Eels last Friday, Folau said he had never committed to playing for the club and hit back at criticism.

"I met with Parramatta on Friday. For me I had nothing to hide and I met with them face to face," Folau said.

"It has been a tough week for me but I am happy with the decision."

"I class myself as a true person to me and my family so what has been said is upsetting.

"There were a number of factors in my decision to join the NSW Waratahs. I left GWS because I didn't have the passion for the game but because of timings I didn't know if I'd get anything.

In relation to the criticism of the failed deal with the Eels, Folau said he didn't "promise anyone anything" and that he had left his options open after leaving the GWS Giants.

"I said right from the start that I was keeping my options open because I knew it would be hard for rugby league to accommodate me.

"I'm excited to be staying in Sydney and am absolutely very happy with the way things have worked out."

Asked about claims that he had made the decision for money, Folau said: "If I was entirely in it for the money I could have stayed in AFL for the next two years of my contract."

Folau, who admitted to ambitions of being a Wallaby, said the one-year deal would give him the chance to decide if he wanted to stay in rugby union or return to league next season.

• As a Tahs supporter, i am not sure about this. Clearly Folau was not solely interested in Rugby and he was courting offers from the NRL. Not sure i would have taken him without a bigger commitment as they are going to invest a lot of time with low likelyhood of results for at least a year or 2. Can't help but feel this will end after 1 year of dissapointment. Please prove me wrong.

James
    December 04, 2012, 9:33AM
    • 1 season is not enough to learn the new code - but it is enough to see if there is potential - has any league player stayed in union and not ended up returning ti league

doubtful
      December 04, 2012, 10:25AM
    • Surely this is a kick in the mouth for the up coming youngsters in the rugby rank. Paying someone big dollar with no proven history in the game. They must have felt a big relieve when they were able to release him. A fairer deal would have been sign him up on an incentive deal, this would then be a truely signing for passion and wanting to learn the game and not just big $$$ sign................ As for being the next Wallaby, good luck........................

Proven???
      December 04, 2012, 11:06AM
    • Seriously could not agree more...obviously couldn't hack it in AFL so giving rugby a go as he couldn't get a contract where he initially wants to be.

Sunny Sydney
      December 04, 2012, 11:20AM
    • @doubtful "has any league player stayed in union and not ended up returning ti league"
      Answer: there has been one... Clinton Schifcofske. And yes he may have returned to LEague, but who watches Super League.. seriously!!

open8ted
      December 04, 2012, 11:36AM
    • He will fit right in at the Waratahs, over-paid and under-perfroming. Management has cast the latest marque player in their own shadow!

Tom
      December 04, 2012, 11:56AM
    • No, no,no,no. Im so sick of this human headline, code jumping rubbish. When does his boxing career start? Tahs, Ive been very patient and thought Cheika was a good move but please, lets actually build a team long term instead of attracting failed AFL players. Israel, mate, do us all a favour and go back to league. You were very good at falling down 5 times and kicking the ball away, stick to what you know.

Nbr 13
      December 04, 2012, 12:09PM
    • Jason Robinson.

And he was a pretty handy player.

Claypole
      December 04, 2012, 12:22PM
    • Agreed, only a few league players have been a success, Brad Thorne & Sonny Bill (love or hate him), the rest were ordinary, including Lote, Wendall, Matt etc.,
      This bloke, Folau will struggle, he had a perceived talent that he could take a mark, hence he was chosen to become an AFL star, the rest is history. He won't be a draw card, nice bloke, no personality unfortunately and he'll flop, hope I'm proved wrong.

Tedstar
      December 04, 2012, 12:35PM
    • @ Doubtful - Willie Carne. Finished his career with The Reds.

G