Date: July 20 2012
A ''please explain'' will be issued by the Queensland Rugby Union to SANZAR after it claimed the late arrival of key documents forced it to abort an appeal against Quade Cooper's ban.
And Cooper backed the QRU to pursue the governing body over what he believed were judicial inconsistencies after being forced to watch the Reds' sudden-death finals clash with the Sharks tomorrow night from the Suncorp Stadium stands.
''It is a major issue from a player point of view. When you get so much inconsistencies in different calls and rulings - the players don't know where [they] sit,'' Cooper told Fox Sports last night.
''I am happy to sit back in the background and let the QRU try and work a strategy to fix this problem.
''To see how passionate the club … felt I had been done wrong has been good for my confidence … and I hope something does get worked out.''
Despite Cooper tweeting otherwise, the QRU was still exploring an appeal after requesting a transcript of Monday night's marathon judicial hearing. However, the documents did not arrive until midday yesterday.
The QRU believed it had grounds to challenge Cooper's one-match ban for a dangerous tackle on NSW centre Berrick Barnes after reading them. But it officially pulled the pin an hour before the 8pm appeal deadline, claiming it had insufficient time.
The QRU had earlier this week complained about a delay in the written judgement's arrival.
''After fully considering the SANZAR transcript received at midday today, QRU still firmly believes that the tackle in question did not reach the red card threshold at which Cooper was initially cited and therefore did not warrant any further action than the yellow card,'' a QRU statement said.
''Also, evidence presented to the video conference over a four-and-a-half hour period, failed to validate the citing commissioner's claim that Cooper's tackle initially made contact with Barnes's head, in QRU's opinion.
''We initially anticipated we would gain a better understanding of the decision by the judicial officer, through obtaining the full SANZAR transcripts. However, they failed to reveal any further detail or clarification on why the judgement was made and the delay in receiving these documents has made it near impossible to mount an appeal.''
QRU chief executive Jim Carmichael said he would formally write to SANZAR ''to outline their concerns and seek clarification around a range of points''.
Ben Lucas is expected to replace Cooper at No.10 when the Reds team is named today. If the Reds defeat the Sharks tomorrow night, Cooper will be free to play against the Chiefs in Hamilton next week. AAP
This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or mirroring is prohibited.
[ Canberra Times | Text-only index]