Team of the week

15: Luke Morahan (Reds) (2). Click for more photos

Australian team of the week - April 29

Each week, Greg Growden picks the form team from the Australian conference after the weekend's matches. Number of times selected in brackets.. Photo: Getty Images

15: Luke Morahan (Reds) (2)
14: Henry Speight
3: Ben Alexander
(Brumbies) (3)
2: Stephen Moore
(Brumbies) (4)
1: Ruaihdri Murphy
(Brumbies) (1)

Player of the round: Fotu Auelea. The Brumbies have cleverly used their No.8, relying on his big charge up fields to build momentum. Had an excellent first half against the Lions.

Try of the round: Ben Alexander. Discovered the joys of backing up by following Michael Hooper down the field as he went on a 60-metre run, being in the right spot to take the pass to score.

• @ GG
    Does the Team have to win to gain selection?

Machooka
    inner west sydney
    April 30, 2012, 9:41AM
    • Okay GG, the Reds played the lowest NZ side and the Brumbies played the lowest South African side and got all the players in the TOW. And they both played very well. The Waratahs all but played the All Blacks, got beaten by 4 points in a cracker of a match, and not one player in the TOW. McKibbin and TPN were outstanding.

The Low Gun
      April 30, 2012, 11:59AM
      • I agree with The Low Gun.. there is clearly favouritism towards players on winning teams.. Mckibbin, TPN, and yet again Dave Dennis were unbelievable..
        wouldn't mind seeing more players who play individually well, result aside.

jackb
        April 30, 2012, 12:32PM
        • Scott Higgenbothem has been one of the most consitent players all year and he has been talked about being a certain Wallaby. His performance againce the blues was immence and yet he rarely makes the team of the week.

Cowboy Bill
          April 30, 2012, 2:27PM
          • Can we see Paul Cully's TOTW?

Phil
            April 30, 2012, 2:37PM
            • Orright, I'm biased and everyone knows it, but come on!

The Force played the top SA team in horrendous conditions (and the TV does it no justice at all, it was absolutely godawful) and, if we account for Habana's not-a-try only lost by one try - surely grit and guts counts for something? I like Moore as much as anyone, but Nathan Charles deserves the 2 spot this week. Sheehan deserves the 9.

TOTW has been an extremely lazy exercise this year, it seems it's just pick the team that had the biggest win and chuck in a few extras to make it look balanced

piru
              Perth via Rakaia
              April 30, 2012, 3:38PM
              • Genia was good though.

Ed
                April 30, 2012, 6:18PM
              • @ piru
                Forget the game I want to talk about the weather. I switched-on my 'Foxy Boxy' ( man she keeps me broke) to see sheets of water coming down and thought if you can really see it on the TV then it really must be baaad!
                So I text my brother ( who is a Force tragic like you) as to how baaad it was and he replied that he had got half-way to the ground with his son and decided it was so baaad they'd returned home!
                It was to be my nephews' first S15 game live.
                Question : was it that bad or is my bro a soft 'sugar-cube' ?
                As you would understand I have great concerns regards this sort of this sort of 'wishy washy' support especially when the opportunity was there to brand a future Forcer. I know you feel my pain. Tah

Machooka
                inner west sydney
                April 30, 2012, 8:22PM
              • @ Ed
                Cheap shot considering all sensibilities. Loved it!

Machooka
                inner west sydney
                April 30, 2012, 8:24PM
              • Chook, it was, in the colloquial 'pissing down', but I don't see how this would impact on someone attending a match. Being Perth, even through the torrential rain, it wasn't really cold. Incredibly uncomfortable, I found that there is a difference between a Drizabone and a raincoat (one is water resistant, the other water proof) and a mate found that a plastic poncho is a waste of money for people over 6 foot sitting down. As I said to my mate at the time, it sucks at the time, but it's the kind of thing that becomes a great memory (once you are warm and dry).

Disappointing the young fellow missed out!

piru