Team of the week

15: Luke Morahan (Reds) (3) Click for more photos

Australian team of the week - May 6

Each week, Greg Growden picks the form team from the Australian conference after the weekend's matches. Number of times selected in brackets. Photo: Getty Images

15: Luke Morahan (Reds) (3)
14: Henry Speight
3: Dan Palmer
(Brumbies) (2)
2: Stephen Moore
(Brumbies) (5)
1: Benn Robinson
(Waratahs) (5)

Player of the round: Kurtley Beale. The Rebels look so much better with Danny Cipriani gone and Beale taking over as playmaker. An excellent performance and now the hot favourite to be the Wallabies No 10.

Try of the round: Cooper Vuna. A great veering run and pass by Beale put the Rebels winger away.

• Lealiifano has been the best 5/8 in the country this year, what incredibly bad luck.

Expat
    Everywhere
    May 07, 2012, 12:29AM
    • How cruel was this. If it's not bad enough for this type of injury to happen, it's even worst when it happens at the end of a game. Crushing blow for all concerned.
      Suffice to say that Lealiifano form this season was peerless!

Machooka
      inner west sydney
      May 07, 2012, 8:07AM
  • Good to see outstanding players from losing teams aknowledged for once (otherwise it would be an all brumbie team I guess).
    As good as Kurtley was this week I'd have to say Nic White or Liam Gill were my choice for player of the week.
    If only Hooper/GIll were a year older, would've been great to have them in World Cup sqaud lol.

juts1e
    May 07, 2012, 9:15AM
    • Ditto
      I think Gill has been chosen for the Under 20s squad to play later this year. @ Ed - is this correct?
      I think / hope @ piru will be happy with Sharpes' inclusion?

Machooka
      inner west sydney
      May 07, 2012, 10:45AM
    • Well, yes, but it's not like he didn't earn it.

I suspect the SA ref we had will be in the SA team of the week

piru
      Perth via Rakaia
      May 07, 2012, 4:58PM
    • @ piru
      I'm gobbed-smacked....'SA ref will be in the SA Team of the week' !
      You're having a go aren't you? You're criticising a ref ?
      I never.....
      Hope everybody knows it's a full moon at moment. This might explain why there's a bit of 'ranting' going-on by other lunatics.
      Therefore, I'm 'heading off' to 'Hawkes May' to see whats in the water and I'll report back like a good little cadet should do, without fear or favour.

Machooka
      inner west sydney
      May 08, 2012, 4:41PM
    • Just having a little vent, grr

piru
      Perth via Rakaia
      May 10, 2012, 1:50AM
  • If only this actually resembled the team Deans selects later this month. Unfortunately I suspect we will see a continuation of incumbent players being given the nod in favour of winning in-form players dying to play for their country. I think your team above is pretty close to what we should be playing Scotland with. Do you really think Deans has the courage to not pick Genia for example. I doubt it, even though McKibben and White have out-played him this season.

Morgan
    Hong Kong
    May 07, 2012, 10:10AM
    • I think you are confusing Robbie Deans with Eddie Jones mate.

piru
      Perth via Rakaia
      May 07, 2012, 5:10PM
  • I'm really tired of reading forum criticisms of selections. How easy is it to be right when you have the benefit of not only hindsight, but the fact that none of the selections you say you'd make will ever get the chance to blow up in your face? It's particularly annoying to read that Deans wouldn't have the guts to make certain selections. He's been the bravest Wallabies coach I can remember, picking several players from Super 15 benches, including Genia. He's also shown that he's prepared to leave out long-serving incumbents when they were being outplayed, eg Giteau, Tuqiri.

Our depth is a problem, but it's far better than it was when he took over.

T
    NSW
    May 07, 2012, 1:44PM

Related Coverage

Bledisloe Cup

Bledisloe Cup
    Sat, 16 AugTimes shown AEST
    AUS 12 vs NZL 12 20:05ANZ
    Sat, 23 AugTimes shown AEST
    NZL 51 vs AUS 20 17:35EP
    Sat, 18 OctTimes shown AEDT
    AUS 28 vs NZL 29 Report Stats

Win an iPad mini by entering our Sport survey