How much is mum worth? $60 apparently

Eli Greenblat

‘‘Figures in the US show that men outspend women by around 60 per cent when it comes to their mum, a trend that is also prevalent in the Australian market’’ ... IBISWorld general manager Karen Dobie. Photo: Lyn Osborn

Australian sons and daughters will spend an estimated $1.36 billion this week to show how much they love their mums, with per capita spending for Mother’s Day expected to rise 3.4 per cent from last year to an average $60, according to research group IBISWorld.

A new report said most adults – aged between 15 and 64 – will open their wallets a little more with gifts averaging $88 up from $85 last year.

IBISWorld general manager Karen Dobie said men and younger adults are typically the biggest spenders.

‘‘Figures in the US show that men outspend women by around 60 per cent when it comes to their mum, a trend that is also prevalent in the Australian market,’’ she said.

‘‘Unfortunately for Dads around the country, figures reveal that the average Australian spends almost double the amount on mum as they do on dad ($29.50) when Father’s Day comes around.’’

Ms Dobie said gift cards – especially online vouchers from group buying websites – would be top of the Mother’s Day shopping list for the second year running and were expected to grow by more than 10 per cent.

“This is one of the fastest growing segments within the online space.

‘‘Competitive local players including Cudo, Spreets, Ozsale and Catch of the Day will have a raft of Mother’s Day specials to entice new customers”, Ms Dobie said.

“IBISWorld anticipates growth of 10.7 per cent this year, well ahead of any other segment. That’s also on the back of last year’s 10.2 per cent jump, so this sector is streets ahead year on year”, Ms Dobie added.

Chocolate and confectionery remained an old favourite and will hold their ground again this year with a 7.7 per cent increase in spending from last year. Growth will largely be driven by the rising popularity of premium, fair trade and organic varieties, IBISWorld said.

Clothes purchases declined strongly during 2011, the high Australian dollar and strong online sales will lead to growth in clothing purchases of 7.1 per cent this year. The trend towards giving gift cards and group buying vouchers will also have a positive flow-on effect to the clothing and accessories market.

“One change this year may be the number of mothers unwrapping an item of clothing purchased overseas, as e-commerce expert kids seek better value for money – and make the most of cheap postage – by patronising major overseas online retailers”, said Ms Dobie.

In line with previous years, IBISWorld reports that eating out will account for the largest share of Mother’s Day spending at 21.6 per cent. As for this year, Ms Dobie anticipates growth of 6.9 per cent to $294 million.

IBISWorld expects spending on flowers will grow by 4.4 per cent from 2011. Greeting cards are another staple tradition and will enjoy a spending rise of 3.9 per cent.

twitter Follow MySmallBusiness on Twitter @MySmallBusiness

• "How much is mum worth? $60 apparently"

Yeah thats if you measure what people mean to you by how much money you spend on them. Something my mum brought me up not to do.

mikerochiii
    May 08, 2012, 11:42AM
    • Well I am a single mum and if my 10 year old makes me a card, and a cup of tea, gives me a big hug and kiss and tells me he loves me, I will feel like the most spoilt woman in the world.

Molly
      May 08, 2012, 12:02PM
      • What a shame that fathers aren't as valued as mothers.

A shame, but not a surprise.

Dave
        Western Suburbs
        May 08, 2012, 12:11PM
        • too often fathers are akin to one more child.

thomas vesely
          May 08, 2012, 12:41PM
        • Usually the case

Drew
          May 08, 2012, 12:42PM
        • While its not the case in every situation, I would wager a lot of that is due to split families, dads dont see their kids etc so dont get a Fathers Day present.

Jen
          May 08, 2012, 12:52PM
        • @Jen - Family Court orders invariably allocate Father's and Mother's day access to the respective parent. So the child wakes at that house to spend the day with the "special" parent.

split parent
          May 08, 2012, 2:29PM
        • It's the reverse in my household. Fathers Day for my husband usually consists of a single malt, averaging between $80 and $160, although the upper end is usually reserved for birthdays. If my now adult sons remember me on Mothers Day, I will be lucky, especially since one is travelling in Europe at the moment. My daughter-in-law (or my son) may do a nice dinner on Sunday, as it will be her first mothers day.

Langy Cynic
          May 08, 2012, 4:43PM
      • Buying a present for mom doesn't meant she's worth that much. I think my mom is worth a million dollars. Does that mean I should feel guilty if I don't buy her a small yatch. The title is so deceptive. It should only be used if someone sold mom for $60, including GST.

JT
        Melb
        May 08, 2012, 2:13PM
        • You mean you haven't bought her a yacht already? I originally sold my mum for just $28 back in the 80s, invested the proceeds and let compound interest do the rest. Last year I bought her back for $55 and put half of my earnings into the yacht to buy back her affection. Now I'm a rich man with a happy mum. Ahhh, capitalism, my friend.

Jester
          May 08, 2012, 4:23PM

Small Biz newsletter signup

Small Biz newsletter signup Small Biz news delivered to your inbox twice-weekly.