Click here to submit your sports results for The Canberra Times

Belconnen thrashes Cooma in Capital Football National Premier League finals

A rampant Belconnen United has stormed into the Capital Football National Premier League grand final with a 6-0 thrashing of league champions Cooma Tigers.

Jason Ugrinic scored a treble as the Blue Devils completed a comprehensive dismantling of the toothless Tigers in the qualifying final at McKellar Park on Saturday.

The Blue Devils now have the week off to prepare for the grand final on September 13, while the Tigers will face the winner of Sunday's qualifying final between Canberra Olympic and Canberra FC at Deakin Stadium.

The Tigers will go into next weekend's preliminary final desperate to return to winning ways after their magnificent 14-game unbeaten run came to a crashing halt.

It was a massive turnaround from just two weeks earlier, when the Tigers defeated the Blue Devils 3-0 to secure the club's first league championship in its 62-year history.

Belconnen midfielder David Arranz said his side used that result as motivation for the return encounter.


"We had a point to prove, Cooma really put us to the sword, and to their credit they were the better team," Arranz said.

"We spoke about it all this week, we had a game plan and we executed that. We wanted to challenge from the first whistle to the final whistle, and I think we did that."

The Tigers had previously lost just two games all season, their most recent coming on May 4 in a 3-1 defeat to the Monaro Panthers.

Since then they have been nigh on unstoppable, but coach Gaby Wilk admitted his side had been guilty of complacency after collecting the league championship.

"We're clearly disappointed, we thought we were finished when we won the competition, but we're not finished," Wilk said.

"The boys relaxed too much, they reckoned they win the competition and everything is done. It's good for us, it's a wake up and I still think we can win the grand final."

The Blue Devils got away to the perfect start, with Tom McLachlan's superb free kick from just outside the box finding the net after nine minutes.

Ugrinic doubled the lead five minutes later, rocketing his shot low and hard to give the 'keeper no chance.

The Tigers attempted to get themselves back in the contest, but were struggling to control United's high possession game and pressure without the ball.

United's work rate paid dividends when Ugrinic lashed in a long-range effort to open the door to the grand final five minutes before the break.

Marty Raines all but slammed it shut with his side's fourth goal a minute before half-time, exposing some shoddy Cooma defending to get through unmarked on the left post.

The Blue Devils had their fifth of the afternoon soon after when Goran Mukevski scored from close range in the 77th minute, before Ugrinic completed his hat-trick in injury time.

Capital Football NPL qualifying final: Belconnen United 6 (Tom McLachlan, 9, Jason Ugrinic, 14, 39, 90+1, Marty Raines, 44, Goran Mukevski, 77) bt Cooma Tigers 0 at McKellar Park on Saturday.

Sunday: elimination final, Canberra Olympic v Canberra FC at Deakin Stadium, 3pm.