Sport

Australia v New Zealand Test series: ICC looking at taking all no-ball calls off the field

The ICC says the topic of video technology to review no-balls will be discussed at its next cricket committee meeting in the wake of the controversy which spared Adam Voges in the first Test.

New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has urged cricket authorities to consider taking the job off the field umpire. It was unclear on Monday night if the Kiwis would make an official complaint to the ICC. The Black Caps did not blame their heavy defeat on umpire Richard Illingworth's mistake though the match would have been much closer had Voges been dismissed on seven. He ended up making 239.

Up Next

Mourinho irritated by reporter

null
Video duration
00:26

More Sports HQ Videos

Australia on cusp of returning to top of Test rankings

Australia have run out comfortable winners in their first Test against New Zealand, winning by an innings and 52 runs.

"The ICC Cricket Committee will be discussing the use of technology at its next meeting, and the topic of reviewing no-balls will again be part of that discussion," an ICC spokesman said. "The third umpire can review the fairness of a delivery on the fall of a wicket but not review a no-ball that has been called on the field. The ICC Cricket Committee has discussed this issue on a number of occasions and come to the same conclusion each time – it is not right that a batsman plays a delivery that is illegal, only to be told retrospectively that it was legal and that he is out by a mode of dismissal that would not have been allowed from an illegal delivery."

Illingworth will not take the field in the second Test and will instead man the TV box. The appointment was made before the series so has nothing to do with his performance in Wellington. Illingworth made another incorrect no-ball ruling, against Jackson Bird in New Zealand's second innings, but it had no bearing on the game. There is a feeling in cricket circles that the Englishman can pull the trigger prematurely.

The front foot rule continues to be a controversial issue for world cricket with too many instances of bowlers not being called when they should or being pulled up when they have not broken the rule.

The Marylebone Cricket Club's World Cricket Committee received a report from former ICC umpires manager Simon Taufel last year that recommended the video umpire monitor no-balls.

Advertisement

"Maybe that's something that needs to be looked at just to make sure that you get the right decision all the time," McCullum said. "I'm guessing it's probably a bit easier as well for an umpire to look at the other end rather than to look down and then look back up as well but other people will make those decisions."

It is the second time in as many trans-Tasman Tests that the Kiwis have been on the wrong end of an umpiring blunder. They paid a huge price in Adelaide when video umpire Nigel Llong ruled Nathan Lyon not out, a decision which the ICC later said was wrong.

McCullum said the Kiwis did not raise the no-ball issue with the umpires during the game. "Rich Illingworth will be pretty disappointed about it, I'm guessing," McCullum said.

"It's a bit of a shame, but I've said all along you've got to take the rough with the smooth in this game, and again credit to Voges for making it count. It's disappointing but it's part of the game and you've got to pick yourself up and move on. You can't dwell on things like that otherwise you don't assess the areas that you need improvement."

Steve Smith said the game needed to find a resolution so that the right decision was made as often as possible.

Advertisement

0 comments