Mundine and Cooper on fight bill
Anthony Mundine wants to "kill or be killed" as he plans on a January 29 bout in Brisbane, with Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper on the undercard.PT1M56S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2z390 620 349 December 10, 2013
Anthony Mundine says he hopes to earn a shot at the likes of superstar Floyd Mayweather by the end of next year after announcing he will headline a boxing card in Brisbane on January 29.
The undercard will feature Wallabies star Quade Cooper in his second fight.
However, the opponents for both Mundine and Cooper are yet to be determined.
Keen: Anthony Mundine (left). Photo: Getty Images
Mundine said in Brisbane on Tuesday that he hoped to line up as many fights as it took against world-ranked opponents to earn a showdown with the likes of Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao by late 2014.
Mundine established himself as a legitimate contender with his sixth-round TKO victory over multiple world title winner Shane Mosley in Sydney recently.
The victory in his 50th professional fight earned Mundine his biggest scalp and the WBA International super welterweight title which took his ranking to 10th.
Wallabies vice-captain Cooper knocked out his first opponent on debut in February.
Cooper said he had not yet discussed his boxing plans with Queensland Rugby boss Jim Carmichael but said he had been given the green light to continue dabbling in the ring.
Meanwhile, Paul Gallen says he is preparing for his first true test as a boxer when he steps into the ring against All Black Liam Messam in Auckland on Saturday.
The Cronulla forward made relatively light work of All Blacks hooker Hika Elliot in an impressive debut in Auckland last year. But Gallen, 32, hoped for improvement when he fights for the second time on a Fight for Life undercard.