'Disgusted' Botha wants to clear name
Frans Botha. Photo: Getty Images
Boxer Frans Botha was to have another drug test to clear his name and said his chaotic fight with NRL player Sonny Bill Williams was "a disgusting state of affairs" and "amounts to match-fixing".
In a statement released through his promoters, the South African said the doping test which Australian media reported he had failed - before losing a decision for the vacant WBA international heavyweight title - was administered by "a confidant" of Williams' manager, Khoder Nasser.
Botha, who has challenged Lennox Lewis and Vladimir Klitschko for world titles in a 23-year career, has asked his manager to apply to have the Williams bout removed from his record after he was unaware Saturday's fight had been shortened from 12 to 10 rounds.
Botha reportedly tested positive for the banned stimulant Phentermine before he lost on points to Williams, a New Zealand rugby union and league international. He said on Monday the person who administered the drug test was "either a relative or a friend" of Williams' manager.
"I had a drug test a few days before the fight but I found out afterwards that it was not official when I asked for the results," Botha said.
Their shambolic fight in Brisbane was also changed to 10 rounds from the originally advertised and WBA standard 12 rounds, which Botha said he didn't know until the final round.
"I had Williams in all sorts of trouble in the 10th round and there was no way he was going to last one more round, let alone two, he was out on his feet," Botha said.
"It was a disgusting state of affairs and it amounts to match-fixing. I have asked my manager to apply to have the bout expunged from my record."
Regional WBA representative Brad Vocale has said he has doubts as to whether the fight was ever sanctioned by the WBA and that "sadly, boxing has been given a black eye again".
Many fans at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre booed the decision, believing Botha had won the fight.
Some bookmaking agencies refunded bets.