Matt Blazynski has been cut by the Canberra Cavalry.

Matt Blazynski has been cut by the Canberra Cavalry. Photo: Ben Southall/SMP Images

The Canberra Cavalry and Australian Baseball League have cut American import Matt Blazynski, the player at the centre of an alleged match-fixing attempt during last month's Asian Baseball Series.

But Cavalry general manager Thom Carter has denied Blazynski was dismissed because of an ABL investigation into the alleged incident or to placate baseball officials in Taiwan, where the event was staged.

Carter said Blazynski had been released on Thursday as an ''operational decision'' because the catcher was surplus to requirements, given the team is in desperate need of pitchers.

Blazynski, who has not played a game for the Cavalry this season, declined to comment but has been paid out his share of the $500,000 prizemoney from Canberra's historic win in the tournament.

The alleged incident has caused friction between the ABL and Taiwan's Chinese Professional Baseball League, a league that has struggled to deal with numerous match-fixing incidents over the past 20 years.

Blazynski claims he was approached in a Taichung bar and offered $30,000 to ensure Canberra lost its semi-final against Korean champions Samsung Lions by at least seven runs. Blazynski informed Cavalry officials before the match and it was referred to Taiwanese authorities for investigation.

The CPBL's investigation was carried out by its anti-gambling unit, which consists of police, the public prosecutor's office and the players' union.

The CPBL claimed there were inconsistencies between Blazynski's version of events and those on CCTV footage from the bar.

Blazynski claimed two men came to him and showed him a briefcase full of cash, but the CPBL said the video footage did not back up that account of events.

Blazynski also claimed he had returned alone to the team's hotel by taxi, but the CPBL said the CCTV cameras showed him getting a lift in a car and returning in the company of a woman.

In a statement released on its website, the CPBL demanded an apology from the ABL.

The ABL had been conducting an internal investigation of the alleged incident. It asked Blazynski to submit a signed statement of his version of events, which he did not do before his release.

The ABL did not respond to calls from Fairfax Media.

Carter denied the investigation had contributed to Blazynski's dismissal.

''It is important for players who are approached by gamblers or match fixers to feel comfortable and right to report it to their superiors,'' he said.

''We will always stand by Matt and stand by any player who does that.''

Carter said the Cavalry had been struck by season-ending injuries to pitchers Steve Kent (elbow), Chris Morgan (elbow) and Hayden Beard (shoulder), and therefore Blazynski was excess to the club's roster.

''It was an operational decision,'' Carter said. ''Matt Blazynski had yet to make an official roster for the organisation and there are a certain amount of players that we can carry when it comes to our contracted player list.

''And as we were moving forward and trying to find pitchers to strengthen our roster, it was clear that, based on a number of issues, he would be the best person to release so we can move forward this season.''