Sport

Australia v India: John Hastings to replace Mitch Marsh for second ODI

John Hastings says he wants to make the most of his call-up to Australia's one-day squad, to press his selection claims for the World Twenty20 in March.

Up Next

Bournemouth stun Liverpool in thriller

null
Video duration
01:30

More Sports HQ Videos

Chris Gayle criticised for failing to run

Ricky Ponting lambasts Chris Gayle for refusing to take a single during Sydney Thunder's loss to the Melbourne Renegades on Monday night.

The 30-year-old was named as a short-term replacement for Mitch Marsh for the second one-day international against India at the Gabba, as Cricket Australia attempts to manage Marsh's workload after a long summer.

It means Hastings will miss the Melbourne Stars' clash with the Brisbane Heat on Thursday, but for the man affectionately nicknamed "Duke" – who expressed his frustration last week at being snubbed for the original squad – any chance to show selectors he can perform at international level is welcome.

"I was a little bit disappointed to not be in the initial squad, but I understand why the selectors want to go for youth and test these guys out," Hastings said. "I get my chance now, so hopefully I can go in and grasp it with both hands." 

Hastings is the Stars' leading wicket-taker in the Big Bash League and featured in Australia's last one-day series, against England in September, in which he snared 3-21 in the final match. 

Advertisement

His ability to bowl yorker after yorker at the death has him eager to show selectors why he should be in the frame for the World Twenty20.

"That's my biggest goal, to get to that T20 world cup for sure. That'd be enormous," said Hastings, who was in Australia's 2011 World Cup squad but did not play.

"I know how good it is to be over in something like that and represent your country, so if I had another chance at that, that would be a big tick on my career list for sure." 

Chairman of selectors Rod Marsh said the decision was made with an eye to ensuring Mitch Marsh was not fatigued.

"We are conscious of managing his workload and his travel, especially with so much cricket to come during the rest of this summer and beyond," he said. "By taking this decision we have opted to give him an extra day at home in Perth after match one before he flies to Melbourne to prepare for Sunday's third match of the series." 

Rod Marsh said Hastings might be required for the remainder of the five-match series if Joel Paris, Scott Boland or Kane Richardson were to get injured in the upcoming fixtures. 

It is expected Josh Hazlewood will be rested for the latter part of the one-day series, meaning Hastings could be a suitable replacement. 

If Hastings is required only for the match at the Gabba on Thursday, he will be released and cleared to play for the Stars against Perth on Saturday.

Advertisement