Under a cloud ... former Canberra cricketer Chris Cairns.

Under a cloud ... former Canberra cricketer Chris Cairns. Photo: Getty Images

Chris Cairns has spoken publicly for the first time since sensational corruption claims linking the former Black Caps star and two other former New Zealand Test cricketers to an International Cricket Council investigation.

Shortly after news broke on Thursday morning of the ICC investigation into three former Black Caps for alleged match-fixing, Cairns, who had a brief stint in the Cricket ACT first-grade competition, spoke with Fairfax Media.

''We need to let the investigation by the ICC run its course,'' Cairns said in the only statement he was prepared to release to the media before conferring with lawyers.

Cairns moved to Canberra in 2011 with his wife, Melanie Croser, to be closer to her family, and also to access greater care for their daughter Isabel, who has profound hearing loss.

He made an immediate impact with North Canberra-Gungahlin, hammering 141 from just 66 balls in his first game for the club. He was limited to a handful of games as he balanced playing with his work in commercial real estate with Colliers International.

Cairns left Colliers to start event management company Signature 27, which collapsed after owing more than $345,000 to creditors as a result of the ill-fated lakeside regatta last year.

Former Test batsman Lou Vincent released a statement on Thursday afternoon confirming he was one of the three players at the centre of the inquiry and he would co-operate with officials.

''I wish to let everyone know that I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC anti-corruption investigation that has been made public today,'' he said. ''This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment. I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time.''

Cairns, Vincent and Daryl Tuffey are the three players who have been named in the international media as the subjects of the investigation. Cairns, one of New Zealand's greatest all-rounders, has previously successfully defended match-fixing allegations.

He sued Indian cricket official Lalit Modi in the London High Court last year after Modi tweeted in 2010 an ''unequivocal allegation''. The tweet related to a match in the now-defunct Indian Cricket League and was reported by leading cricket website Cricinfo, which later withdrew the report, paid damages and apologised to Cairns.

Cairns, Vincent and Tuffey all played for the Chandigarh Lions in the ICL, which was battling for supremacy against the rival and ultimately successfully Indian Premier League, run by Modi.

Cairns won a settlement of $158,000 in March last year. The judge also ordered Modi to pay Cairns' legal bill of $700,000. Modi was unsuccessful in appealing the ruling in October last year.

Earlier on Thursday, New Zealand Cricket chief David White confirmed he knew the identity of the three and had known about the investigation for ''months''.

White revealed the matches under investigation were ''three or four years ago''. Cairns retired in 2008. His last matches were in Twenty20 for Nottinghamshire, shortly after the ICL wound up.